Fast access screen

Started by garry23, July 26, 2012, 08:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

Continue to test out the latest rc on my 50D and still looking great, eg stable and responsive.

One matter continue to 'confuse' me is the fact I can not lower the shutter speed below 1/24 from the fast access buttons, however, the shutter speed can be taken faster via the standard cannon 'wheels' even when the ml fast access screen is active.

Also what are the algorithms behind the shutter and aperture feedback color changes..

Finally, ml says can not calculate hyperfocal (I'm using a sigma lens) but the focus distance is shown by ml and clearly tracks my manual focusing changes.

Cheers

Garry

a1ex

The shutter speed shortcuts were only intended for having finer steps in movie mode (or to be able to change them on 500D). It's basically a hack for not being able to read the scrollwheel directly.

Green shutter speed is good - in photo mode, this means no camera shake when shooting handheld, and in movie mode, this means 180-degree for a nice motion blur.

For hyperfocal: what's the exact message displayed by ML? If it's some auto mode where you don't know the aperture, it won't work.

garry23

Alex

I thought that might be the case regarding the fast access screen, however, it is still accessible in still mode: which I like. I wonder if it would be worth considering a tweak that allows access to faster shutter speeds if the user is in still mode, ie if movie mode is dsiabled. I must say I find the fast access screen useful in LV mode.

The fast access screen seems to fully work in LV still mode, even if movie mode disabled. The only 'limitation' appears to be the 1/24 shutter limitation.

In the Xmas release I was never able to see hyperfocal read out in the ML menu: now I can. Although now it does show it, I think it does not respond when the focal length of a lens is changed. This was what I saw, although in LV I saw the lens focal length. That is it appears to be a process lag.

Finally, I wonder if it's worth considering a user option to (re) position certain LV sub-screens, eg the histogram. In CHDK I can do this and I find this customisation very useful. Also, is the size of the ML histogram fixed or could there be a small, med, lartge option. Many still photograhers use the histogram a lot, especially for expose to right maximisation.

Cheers

Garry