Forum upgrade

Started by nikfreak, March 02, 2016, 10:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

Guess the responsible ML webmaster has already noticed but the chdk project has upgraded it's SMF forum. So if time or help is needed to achieve the same goal as chdk i will be here to help wherever I can. Got myself a phpbb forum years ago before I closed it and am familar with Joomla and such....

Noticed several times spam posts coming through. maybe that could be a motivation to upgrade the site for you? Otherwise a new look & feel combined with a better inbuilt search engine for the community should at least help mods like Walter to focus on "real" problems instead of repeating themselves dozens of times.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

axelcine

I've had so much good info from this site - and you -, and I'm generally able to find what I look for. The site is well built and it contains a treasure of info not found anywhere else. I very often admire Walter's patience, having to repeat himself over and over again to help get ML to run on peoples' cams, and more often than not his dry wit sends me howling from laughter.

But basically you're quite right. Ever so often I ask myself "where was it that A1ex wrote about the ~2MB limit of ML and the need to be very conservative with what features you put into ML?" And where are those "best practices for raw workflow"?

Forums like ML must be some kind of linear and chronological, but high-grade info is often obscured by cris-crossing arguments and posts. I don't have a solution other than an elaborate, huge and association-driven "hyper-index", which might certainly prove unable to be maintainable. The problems you mention persist and are very real.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

nikfreak

chdk simply updated their theme. Check their footer for the place where they bought it. But that alone makes a whole new difference. I think ML shoudn't use vulnerable older versions from SMF ;-) and while you are at it I vote for a new design and a better search engine ;D

a1ex

The webmaster was away for quite some time, so I went ahead and updated the forum myself.

Regarding CHDK theme, the first thing I did after seeing it was changing it back in my preferences profile :P

But the docs (FAQ and such) could really use a little upgrade.

Audionut

Holy spambot.

It's time to enforce some wait time before new users can post, and ban outlook email addresses.

DeafEyeJedi

This is spambotlicious and I'm with all of you on board for this concept!

Thanks for starting this thread @nikfreak!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Audionut

reddeercity

Yes ,
I think new user should have there post approved or limited to one a week or something like that .
in a probationary period .
I just reported 43 Spams today !  29 from this user  jkuilki23 & 15 from wedi1x.
This getting out of hand I think , I do my best to report when I can to keep the forum clean of garbage.

DeafEyeJedi

Same here in regards to @jkuilki23 & @wedi1x and indeed it is quite out of hand!

axelcine

@DeafEyeJedi - another four from wedi1x since your posting. I sincerely wonder what people get out of spamming us like this.

I strongly suspect that one of the links they refer was the one that put the Adobe Flash virus on my computer recently. I had to reboot to factory standard, purging everything and basically reformatting the machine.

I'm in the process of photographing all menus in 700d and 5d3 - if any of you would want access to these pics I'll put them out in Postimage. I'm trying to compile a User Guide, but I'm not working very fast, so if anyone might use the pics (for FAQ or ...?) be my guests.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

Danne

Quite some interesting old threads wedi1x is digging up.
Keep up the good work with the user guide axelcine.

axelcine

@danne - I will. ML is a helluva good tool. While learning ML I have been looking at the old User Guide - excellent piece of work - I even formatted it and pdf'fed it for printing. Even if it was not always "bang on" it was lots and lots better than nothing. I have also been leaning heavily on Redrocks' excellent post.

dmilligan

Spam is getting worse and worse. I think all first time posts should require approval from a moderator before they appear.

vertigopix

Quote from: dmilligan on March 14, 2016, 04:42:49 PM
Spam is getting worse and worse. I think all first time posts should require approval from a moderator before they appear.
+1

DeafEyeJedi

I vote for this as well.

axelcine

ML Universe is a place, where good and hard working people contribute to a bigger purpose. Writing software to improve on cameras that are already damn good takes a lot of skill, courage and entrepreneurship. I like to see this community as a gathering of like minds, trying to improve their photographic and videographic skills by exploiting the very best options provided by the hardware assisted by some very sophisticated software and by exploiting facets of the hardware, that even the creators in Japan may not have thought about.

Trying to attack this universe with out-of-topic or downright abusive posts is showing disrespect.

I'm totally proud and very happy to be a minuscule part of this universe. I learn a lot every day - and I'm challenged and thrilled every day. DeafEyeJedi, dmilligan, Walter, A1ex, danne, Audionut, nikfreak and hundreds of other dedicated and devoted enthusiasts write about technicalities and share videos and photos, I'm still working very hard to understand and emulate. I'm just not able to fathom why somebody out there wants to destroy and abuse our sphere of friendship, playfulness and search of excellence.

When people spit on other people, or abuse their trust and friendship, they have exposed themselves. They may surface in these pages under a pen name, but I firmly believe, that they know, they'll never be parts of this community.

That said, I totally agree with the idea, that our first posts should be factual, focused and relevant to the purpose of ML. So new members might experience, that their first post would have to be 'cleared' by the majordomo - and probably delayed for some time - before it shows up in these pages.

Am I too sanctimoneus?

Audionut

Quote from: Audionut on March 07, 2016, 11:59:55 PM
And mail.ru

Pretty please.

When the spam bots can post this many messages instantly, if you're a Russian wanting to use an .ru email addy, quite frankly........tough shit.  Join the queue of other people who don't like me.

DeafEyeJedi

Excellent save and thanks for your hard work as always, @Audionut!

nikfreak

So the forum now got moved to a new server and also has been updated to the latest SMF version available.

Is it possible to group the recent posts by topic at the bottom of the main page again?

g3gg0

as i am no SMF guru, i rolled back the upgrade.
yet to fix some issues like search index that seems to have its root cause on the old server.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!