60D doesn't boot when card is removed

Started by Heiz, February 29, 2016, 05:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heiz

Hi!

I think i messed something up with ML. My 60D doesn't boot any more when there's no card inserted, it's just dead until I remove the battery.

When there's any card inside (with or without ML), it boots and works just fine. I already uninstalled ML, deleted boot flag, reinstalled canon firmware and so on, but it all didn't change the camera's behavior when the card is removed.

Any suggestions what's going on or how to get rid of the problem?

Heiz

Anyone? :( Canon said, they'd replace the mainboard, but I'd like to avoid that if possible...

Walter Schulz

Wild guess: Slot's card detection switch gone south. Cam therefore "thinks" there is a card inserted all the time.

a1ex

Indeed; if the card detection signal is "card present", but the card doesn't reply, the bootloader locks up (confirmed in QEMU).

If the signal is "card not present", the bootloader doesn't even attempt to init the card.

The main firmware ignores this signal and just attempts to communicate with the card. If it works, fine, if not, it times out.

Walter Schulz

If there is a soldering wizard around able to replace SMD (Phone repair shops comes to mind) you may ask about costs. There is risk involved, though.