4k Raw 5dm3

Started by cwphoto, February 28, 2016, 09:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwphoto

Hello

Is it possible to get 4k Raw files on the canon 5dm3?

thanks!!!!

dmilligan

yes! press the shutter button, it's actually a bit larger than 4k

KelvinK

6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

extremelypoorfilmaker

Quote from: dmilligan on February 29, 2016, 02:12:46 AM
yes! press the shutter button, it's actually a bit larger than 4k

xD xD xD xD xD xD xD
dmilligan you made my day!

cwphoto obviously didn't read the guidelines xDDDDDDD

also, there is another way to get """"""""""""""""4K"""""""""""""" on the 5D3: Shoot in 4:3 and get an anamorphic lens! (Or anamorphic adapter)

cwphoto

Apparently theres a work flow where one can upscale the 1080 raw dng files to 4k for video use. Does anyone know this workflow?

extremelypoorfilmaker

It's simple: convert your DNG sequence in an upscaled jpeg sequence.
Bear in mind, it will NOT be true 4k

Pretty pointless doing that as you will lose out in quality.
and it will be time and HD space consuming :)

KelvinK

Quote from: cwphoto on February 29, 2016, 09:13:07 PM
Apparently theres a work flow where one can upscale the 1080 raw dng files to 4k for video use. Does anyone know this workflow?

We LOLed because you didn't mention video mode in your initial question :)
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

cwphoto

cwphoto

aace

extremelypoorfilmaker

but seriously, apart from production meant to be projected on massive screens, who needs 4K? Because even if you have a camera that shoots 4K you need a PC / Mac that supports 4K AND a monitor for it! I, for example, would buy a 4K camera only to get more work as DP only. But there's no way I would be able to edit properly with my current PC set-up.

Walter Schulz

That's indeed the only case where blowing up makes sense to me: Running footage with lower resolutions on 4k projectors and screens if (and only if) their internal scaling sucks.

kgv5

And one more case - 4k upscaled files uploaded to youtube have much better quality/lower compression even in 1080p than native 1080p clips.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

axelcine

It might be worth your time to look at these two wonderful movies. They're extremely well done, and even on mainstream TV sets produce amazing images. The latter is a 3.5 test made with a 5DIII. I have shown these two movies in our photo and video society a number of times, even on equipment barely able to show the amazing quality. Even on 2K monitors and TV sets the pics are extremely good and very detailed. Try them yourselves on different equipment and agree with me: Quality IN - quality OUT. All credits go to the creators of this wonderful footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLmOkDBfxv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEykpKDEXj4

So, @cwphoto, this is what is achievable with the 5D3 (the first movie shot with another brand of camera.)

For a comparison to 2K you may want to look at this little flick I made with a 700D/10-22 ef-s in Sicily for the local marching band a while ago:

https://vimeo.com/153297449
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

extremelypoorfilmaker

Quote from: kgv5 on March 02, 2016, 08:02:31 PM
And one more case - 4k upscaled files uploaded to youtube have much better quality/lower compression even in 1080p than native 1080p clips.

true that. This and what Walter said I would think is the only reason to upscale to 4K
bear in mind, without a monster pc and a 4K screen, it will be a PAIN editing.

In my modest opinion, If You really have this need for 4k, I would look into anamorphic adapters 2X But forget having a 16:9 aspect ratio if you want to take full advantage of the upscaling.

reddeercity

2K Proxy ! that the only way to edit 4K .
There lots of reason to have 4k material , but from my Video that's posted here Reply #9
I made it very clear it was just a test to see if it could work.
And it dose , if you need a few seconds of 4k it could be achieved , but only in 3xCrop mode at least for the 5D2.
As far as monitoring 4k in your NLE or Grading app , most if not all app will do a scaling option for your display .

The biggest benefit to have 4k over 2k,HD material is the possibly of reframing the shot .
I just when thought this on a film I just edited , shot on a bmcc 2.4k raw output was 2048x1152 , 2:1 A.R.
and I was able to use a few shot over a few times by just reframing  8)
or the simply fact you can punch in to a shot as if you zoom in .
There so many advantage's to that .

kgv5

Ive made some tests in resolve-1080p raw to 4k dnxhr444, edit and output as 4k vs 1080p raw, edit in 1080p dnxhd444 and upscalig to 4k as the last step in premiere - 4k workflow gave little bit sharper result while 1080 was much faster and much muvh less hdd consuming - both 4k videos uploaded to YT looked almost the same, difference was negligible. But both were much nicer and sharper than uploaded native 1080p. From that moment i upload only 4k upscaled versions.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D