LCD Powersave while DNG silent pics + Intervalometer ?

Started by remizik, February 26, 2016, 02:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

About screenshot: Insert card into cardreader and check for VRAM0.PPM.

a1ex

Looks like it works exactly the way I've described it.

remizik

@Walter Schulz: Thanks ! I had no idea those were actually the screenshots :)

@a1ex : indeed, so in "simple" mode, the LCD wakes up after every picture, but in "full res" mode, the screens stays black. I guess I can live with that ;) to bad for the battery life.

Since I got you here, do you know if it's possible to have a resolution between simple and Full res for the silent pictures ? like 2.7k ? or is it not technically possible ?
thanks

a1ex

Yeah, it has to wake up in order to take the picture. Could be optimized a little, to turn LV off before saving the picture, but the difference is probably too small to be noticeable.

For intermediate resolutions, you could either use the 5x zoom (it usually is a little larger than 1080p), or crop the full-res image (not worth the coding effort, imo).

What is worth researching, in my opinion, is this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.msg123909#msg123909

remizik

I still don't get why it's stays off in "full res" and doesn't in "simple" :D
But I don't know anything about programming and dev, so i'll shut up now  ;D

thanks for the tip for intermediate resolutions, i'll have a look asap !

a1ex

Because the simple silent pictures are snapshots from LiveView, while the full-res ones are taken with LiveView turned off, by calling Canon code that's normally used in regular pictures.