UpsideDown Mode - Are recorded movies inverted?

Started by StunningShot, September 15, 2014, 02:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StunningShot

Hi forum members,

The Magic Lantern userguide explains UpsideDown mode with "This mode is useful if you want to mount your camera upside-down." From a video I found on YouTube, it seems like this is useful for flipping the back camera display to be read easily the right way up if the camera is mounted upside-down. Does the mode also invert recorded video automatically?

If not, for an upside-down camera, is there a setting in Magic Lantern where I can get the camera to record the videos the right way up (rather than having to do it afterwards on my computer)?

Thanks for your assistance.

Frank7D

The only reason (that I know of) to mount your camera upside down is if you want the video to be recorded upside down.

StunningShot

There are many reasons to mount the camera upside down, including:

1. A potentially less complicated structure required to hold the camera (e.g. mounting underneath a quad-copter)
2. Easier access to buttons on the top of the camera (e.g. as above, if mounting underneath a structure)
3. Custom optics which produce an inverted image (compared to normal) on the camera sensor

Frank7D

As far as 3, if your optics are flipping the image, then inverting the recorded video would get you back where you started, thus making it pointless.

StunningShot

I'm still trying to invert the movies "in-camera" (rather than having to do it after recording, on my computer). I think I will try a feature request.

Frank7D, you are correct. No. 3 is actually a separate reason for wanting to flip the videos while recording.

In other words, a rotate-180-degrees setting for recorded videos would be useful for applications where:

• the camera is mounted upside-down, or
  • where custom optics produce an inverted video.