Ext. Monitor Aputure VS-2 FineHD + 5DIII + ML review.

Started by johannsebastianbach, February 24, 2016, 01:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johannsebastianbach

Hello,

just wanted to tell you about my experiences with the new VS-2 FineHD (about 340€ inc. shipping) and Magic Lantern. I ordered it because it has FullHD and also focus Peaking to relieve some CPU off the 5D. The monitor's quality itself is very good. Very light and good looking. I hooked it up with the 5DmkIII on the February-1.1.3 nightly. Global Draw layers work, DIGIC Peaking doesn't. The HDMI-Out resolution is not full HD but has black bars which is still OK-ish but I noticed a slightly higher latency in comparison with the internal monitor.

Updated to 1.2.3 and tried it out with both, mirroring mode and clean HDMI out. Now we're talking. The Full HDMI on the 7inch Monitor (high PixelPerInch) looks really good. But unfortunately the latency is still there. It is actually short about half of a second but it is enough to confuse you while moving the camera and especially focus pulling. Not usable for me.

1 · Is latency a general problem with the Canon HDMI-out or does it have something to do with the Vs-2? I never had the chance to try out a more sophisticated monitor. Do you experience it with other monitors too?

2 · btw, I also had the impression that the internal monitor became slower too in 1920-mode after the update to 1.2.3, is this a thing?

3 · Does DIGIC- Peaking works on other monitors or generally only in the internal one? I could imagine to use a cheaper SD monitor with sharpness+7 and DIgic Peaking Slightly sharper. This is almost as good, as a focus peaker:

:)

jcdenton

Do you have any chance to shoot the latency issue and the latency difference between internal and external monitor? It also will be very handy to connect 1080p computer monitor over hdmi and check if the latency still there.. I guess it will give you the answer who is guilty. Camera or the monitor.

emrahcahit

Something wrong with ur monitor. I didnt have any problem on liliputh or even on lcd tv using as a reference monitor. They were both zero delay.

jcdenton

emrahcahit, your lilliput monitor is not 1080p. Are your lcd monitor is full hd and you were using 1.2.3 firmware with clear hdmi 1080p signal?