.mlv corruption; am I SOL or can someone save these files?

Started by samwagner10, February 09, 2016, 08:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samwagner10

So, I was shooting a timelapse using RAW video mode and FPS override modes over this past summer.  It was an awesome sunset at Lake Superior and I was giddy with excitement about the color in the sky.  Right as the sun dips below the horizon, so in the meat of this timelapse, my battery dies.  I replace it and restart the recording.

The file that was being written as the battery died ended up as a .mlv, but also came accompanied by 9 .m0X files.  I was worried that this meant the file wasn't saved properly or corrupted somehow.  After scouring the forums, I realize these should just be reference files for the overly large .mlv main file (or so I think) and are meant to be referred to automatically by MLRawViewer or MLVFS.  But, in MLRawViewer it opens just to a black screen and nothing really appears when I try MLVFS.

Am I totally screwed? Did the battery death mid shot corrupt these files beyond repair?  They aren't data-less files, there is information there, or so Finder tells me...  Is there some genius in these forums who can save my sweet timelapse?

Here is a dropbox link to the files I'm referring to: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m0e0httjvx4kqj2/AAC2uUdLz6JIT11adqWcnU5Ba?dl=0

If anyone can save me with a simple tip I missed or by checking out my files, I'd be very thankful! 

Danne

Those files are smaller in szie than my .....
Kidding, but those files can,t even hold one dng file due to the byte size. Wasn,t there any bigger file that also was saved preceeding those very small ones?

samwagner10

Kharak

You could try converting the files to DNG from the card. The real data is on the card! if you haven't formatted it.
once you go raw you never go back

user0597

If the card shows as having any data on it, they're probably somewhere on it. If Windows (I am presuming you have windows) tried to repair the file system they might be in a hidden "F:\found.000" folder. (drive F: is just an example). Other than that TestDisk or PhotoRec might be the way to go if you're not uncomfortable using the command line (PhotoRec also has a GUI called qPhotoRec).

Markus

The guy that drives this site helped me recover a corrupted mlv file.
www.filerecovery.cz

He's called milank here on ml-forum.