HDMI signal processing - changing pixel aspect ratio

Started by troy_e, February 16, 2016, 05:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy_e

Hi everyone.

I shoot quite a bit with anamorphic and although ML has the anamorphic preview feature, I don't use it because it renders focus peaking unusable and also because of the loss of frames. I also use a field monitor quite often on bigger shoots for the client/director/producer etc to be able to see what's being shot and they seem to find it difficult to grasp the 2x stretch and imagine what the de-stretched footage is going to look like.

So my question is, is there a way of processing the HDMI signal that comes out of the camera, change the pixel aspect ratio of it via a box/processor of some sorts, and then send it to the monitor? Or would it be easier to do this after converting the signal to analog? (my monitor has a YPbPr input) Note that I would like to achieve this while still keeping my setup as mobile as possible. I am aware that there are signal processing racks, but their size and price rules them out for me.

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. I am not very well-versed about digital or analog signals at all, so please excuse my ignorance if all of this is impossible in principle, or is just total nonsense   :)

Thanks

mothaibaphoto

I think it's really possible if you try ... tablet as monitor, as I did:
Avermedia extremecap U3 + Surface 3 + VirtualDub works pretty good for me.
I believe it's easy to change aspect ratio in VirtualDub (didn't tried though, I don't need to), or adopt any other capture software.
And this setup is only adds half pound to my usual travel luggage, as I need tablet/notebook anyway.