Atomos Ninja Assassin Or Sound Devices Pix 220?

Started by DeafEyeJedi, February 16, 2016, 02:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Hello all-

I know this is basically like comparing Apples and Oranges but felt this was worth to ask around ...

I've been saving up to get myself a decent Monitor that can also record into ProRes for back-up's or per Client's request and such.

•ATOMOS NINJA ASSASSIN ($995) which is currently on sale coming down from $1295 which seems legit to me.

•SOUND DEVICE PIX 220 ($999) which is also on sale coming down from a hefty $1749 which seems too good to be true but yes it's real.

However, I have come to a conclusion that with the Ninja Assassin I'll need to make a seperate purchase of a SSD to use with it which is cheap those days. I can probably scoop up a 500GB for less than $200 so it isn't exactly biting too much out of my wallet.

Even tho the Pix 220 uses CF cards (which I have TONS of them) so I figured this would be the most ideal way of doing this but the one thing that I question is why is the price reduced so much and also learned that this Device has been around a few years longer than the Ninja Assassin so maybe that plays a role into this?

I'm starting to lean myself towards to the Atomos ... Chime in your thoughts or experiences and Thanks for reading this!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

CineRAW

Hey @DeafEyeJedi, what camera are you asking about. I am in the same situation you are. I am looking to get an external monitor for my 5dmk3 Fir 1.1.3 build Mar 02 2015 using MLV or Fir 1.1.3 latest nightly build using RAW.

Anyone recommend an external monitor for MLV with sound build or RAW without sound nightly build?

DeafEyeJedi

5D3 & 7D. Depends on what you use it for. Just as a monitor or to record ProRes plus decent audio? I got myself the Atomos Shogun instead. Found a great deal on Craiglist and have been happy with quicker turnarounds but I still prefer MLV RAW over ProRes422HQ.

You can just see the differences in clouds and the gradients of the lighting effect. But again it depends on what the clients want and their patience plays role into my decision making in whether I should go MLV RAW or ProRes422HQ or both. 

CineRAW

Hey @DeafEyeJedi thanks for the quick reply.

Can you please send details on 5d mk3.

For example,
1. Do you get MLV RAW with sound and you find that better than the ProRes422HQ with sound on the Shogun?
2. Do you know the color bit info on the MLV RAW and ProRes422HQ? Do you do post color corrections in Resolve, AE, both, etc?
3. Which firmware are you using to get both MLV RAW and ProRes422HQ? 1.1.3? Build?
4. Do you get ML Overlays while mirroring both? On both monitors?
5. Do you use RAW (1.0 Version)?
6. Do you use ML Viewer and export your MLV RAW or export DNG?

Thanks again for the help. Thanks to all the ML community for the support and progress.

extremelypoorfilmaker

The Odyssey 7Q? If you are willing to splash the extra cash, i see it as an investment for the future.

DeafEyeJedi

@CineRAW-

1) Watch Video below.
2) MLV is 14-bit as per usual when ProRes422HQ from Shogun is only 8-bit (YCbCr 4:2:2) since that's the best for 5D3's HDMI output according to Canon.
3) 113 will give you ML or Canon layers (no clean HDMI out) versus 123 which has clean HDMI out however this test was done on 7D just because I like their Audio features that ML provides. [emoji2]
4) Watch Video below.
5) Yes I do, in fact, I have been using MLV Lite lately which is just as good if not better.

MLV files were processed with MLP (with default settings and nothing else) just for this test purpose.

https://vimeo.com/158783572