Remote follow focus.

Started by johannsebastianbach, February 05, 2016, 08:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johannsebastianbach

I have to admit, I didn't test it yet (but I am guessing it could work)

So the ML follow focus option works good, but you obviously can't use it if you have the camera on a shoulder-rig or steadycam. How about a cheap remote control which has the up/down/left/right buttons (I remember you could control focus on my old Powershot Pro1 natively with the included remote control) and you could use follow focus even in action shots.

It is basically a Aputure Dec (http://youtube.com/watch?v=efsoDseaAHk) but with the advantage of no lens controller adapter needed. ;)

Maybe somebody worked this already out? I am going to search, try soon and report.

mothaibaphoto

I think that solution will only make sense for use non-native lenses on mirrorless body.

johannsebastianbach

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on February 05, 2016, 08:51:32 AM
I think that solution will only make sense for use non-native lenses on mirrorless body.

What exactly do you mean mothaibaphoto? The idea is to use Canon native lenses because their focus can be operated trough ML with the up/down buttons. The only hardware I found so far are such battery grips:

So theoretically you could plug it in, run ML focus pull and use the remote controller which apparently has l/r/u/d buttons to focus pull even if its on a gimbal! Something like Aputure dec but for Canon cameras and the price of about 80$

Another Idea is to use a USB joystick and a USB to USB remote extender but this is much more difficult I guess.

mothaibaphoto

Quote from: johannsebastianbach on February 08, 2016, 01:52:25 AM
What exactly do you mean mothaibaphoto?
Exactly this one: that solution works thru lens adapter we don't need.
This is not mean there is no other solutions.
As you can see, some people claim that USB adaptors works with ML.
I recently ordered this one
As it arrives I will report here, is it works or not.

johannsebastianbach

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on February 08, 2016, 01:46:59 PM
Exactly this one: that solution works thru lens adapter we don't need.
This is not mean there is no other solutions.
As you can see, some people claim that USB adaptors works with ML.
I recently ordered this one
As it arrives I will report here, is it works or not.

Are there only two buttons to focus from or can you change the sensibility too? Yes, please tell us how good it is. :)

mothaibaphoto

That Aputure V Grip USB Focus Handel V-Grip have just arrived and I make a quick test: it works, but...
Not from the first attempt and i several times freezes camera,
finally i realised that it's important to first connect and switch on the device, just after that turn on the camera.
And even this way sometimes it just not works. I need to restart camera several times.
It has 3 speed presets selectable by button, two of them seems too slow for me.
It can control aperture too, has focus/aperture switch button.
Zoom button activates x5/x10 view.
For now main disadvantage for me is that 3 main buttons(focus and start/stop) are so close that i can't start record without pressing all of them.
And even if i use fingernail to avoid pressing focus buttons, i can't stable just start/stop record as with appropriate button on camera, it works as half shutter on half press and this implemented not so reliable.
By making full press on that start/stop button I can get with equal probability: nothing, half press, half press+start record, start record. :(
For now I'm rather dissapointed.