Encoding for YouTube: How to Get the Best Results

Started by KarelBata, July 25, 2012, 11:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarelBata

I use a pair of 600Ds shooting 3D HDR timelapse - all at the same time!

Michael Zöller

Thanks. Interesting that google speaks of each upload as a "golden master" urging us to upload in the best possible quality our upstreams permit so that they can improve quality later on.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Malcolm Debono

Very interesting read. I've been using Adobe Media Encoder's youtube presets and they seem to work quite well (according to Adobe they were built exactly according to Google's specs). Thanks for sharing!
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

Chungdha

I encode it for Apple TV and seem to be working out quite well, also quit nice small files that upload quick and dont seem they reprocess the vid extra when the upload it finish it quite quick online already.

tatabeat

you ever experienced your videos being "darker" after uploading to YouTube and Vimeo?

its killing me and i cant find any solution to that problem so far

( https://getsatisfaction.com/youtube/topics/why_do_all_yt_submitted_videos_turn_out_much_darker )

KarateBrot

after exporting from after effects windows media player and company display my footage too bright. after uploading it to youtube it looks correct again. i don't know what youtube does for converting but you might take a look if youtube applies another gamma. i noticed that at 720p and 1080p the gamma is being lowered (image is brighter in dark spots (maybe rec. 709)) compared to the other formats but that would be the opposite of your problem
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

tatabeat

i render to SONY AVC at High profile, 20Mbps - i use Vegas. i always loose serious amount of shadow details, and such. (after uploading)

Vegas plays/codes the same footage differently than AfterEffects. in AE its already darker, more saturated in some ways (especially the greens)  :(

Canon footage seems to be .601 - at least Cineform corrects it when converting.
i thought a proper .709 footage gonna be ok on YouTube - but i was wrong. NEX5n footage is darker too.

i wish i could have the very same uploaded to these video sites.

BOBCAT

Anyone have an idea why when I use the compressor YouTube preset audio gos off sync? Footage is 24fps and exported movie (1080p) has audio in sync. After compressor too, things are still fine, only after upload it goes for a toss.

tatabeat

that A/V sync happens with Vegas renders too. i thought manually compensating the audio would help, but it seems 2-3 frames compensation is still not OK. the sync just seems to be random to me (im very picky to the timing of cuts, im mostly into music videos)

it even depends on where i start the video playback from. (on YouTube)