5Dmark II - CMOS TEMPERATURE

Started by faaraot, August 05, 2012, 10:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

faaraot

When using Magic Lantern 5dmark II warming on battery side. CMOS temperature is after 10 minutes about 172-175 RAW. What is normal temperature cmos? What is highest temperature when you should shut all down?  Is it normal and safe use when camera warming?

Malcolm Debono

My 5D2 get's quite hot too. After shooting a whole wedding ceremony (which makes the camera quite warm), if it's in the morning I have to shoot outside in direct sun as well when the party is getting out of the church or ceremony location. The temperature here in Malta also doesn't help as it's very hot (max. temp today is 34 degrees celsius).

Here are some tips to follow that I use to reduce heat as much as possible:
- Change battery and memory card
- Try not to keep hand on camera's grip (the area where there's the memory card door)
- After using in direct sun, give it some rest (and again remove battery and memory card)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

faaraot

Can you tell mee CMOS temperature in normal use?

frspp

For me it's around 172–180 degrees.

Your camera will shutdown automatically and gives you notice about it (it's says like "stop the darn too long video mate, you know it's maybe decent but not the best in the world!") if it becomes too hot. I have experienced it once after shooting video in one run for around two hours. I have done the same case few times without overheating. 7D might be a bit more prone for this issue, as it had this issue from first time. This was done before Magic lantern worked on 5d2 but it suppose it works exactly same as canon FW isn't touched.
5d2

g3gg0

Quote from: frspp on August 08, 2012, 10:59:58 AM
For me it's around 172–180 degrees.

i really, really hope this is wrong :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

nanomad

It may be right. As far as I remember ML shows the raw "temperature data" and not the correct C or F values (except for a few select models where we have the correct conversion tables)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

ilguercio

180°C would cause the solderings to go soft, come on.
RAW temperature still has to be interpreted but we don't really need to care about it as Canon engineers did already.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.