ETTR only working in live view (7D)? Bug?

Started by Pernod, April 27, 2016, 10:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pernod

Hi all, I'm new here (so please be nice  :) )

I've just installed the ML on my canon 7D for the first time (the latest nightly) but Im having some weird behaviour with ETTR. Before I log a bug I just want to check I'm not missing something stupid here.

Last night it was working correctly:
* In live view, it optimises the exposure
* In normal view, it briefly switches to live, optimises and switches back.

But this morning, 14 hours on, now that I've come to use it I'm getting an odd behaviour.
* live view works perfectly
* But, in normal view it switches to live and then instantly switches straight back without adjusting any exposure values at all.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or does it sound like a bug?

S.

Audionut

Do the exposure values actually need to be changed?  Maybe try adjusting the exposure settings way from target and trying again.

Else, format card in camera, download most recent nightly build, extract contents to card and try again.

Pernod

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, done all the basic bug checks like throwing the exposure off in each direction with different combos of iso/shutter etc.

I've uninstalled ML, reinstalled, wiped the ML settings and even started with a clean ML install and default ETTR settings, but still no luck at all.

I've just tried re-flashing the base EOS firmware and start installing ML again from scratch with a new nightly - but still the same behaviour.

I'm pretty confident it was working last night.

Is there any known settings (metering modes, raw/jpg, etc) that stop ETTR from functioning?

P.S. Sorry for the slow (and potentially out of order) replies, being new my posts still need to be approved by the mods.

Pernod

I have isolated the bug to being some sort of relationship between dual iso. Everything is fine if dual iso has not been installed or if the dual iso link is disabled in ETTR. When dual ISO is installed/linked the error occurs, but I can't quite work out the exact conditions to trigger the issue.

I have just noticed it is briefly flashing up a 'ETTR Failed' error message when it's not working.

I have in the process though found a different ML bug. If I bring the camera out of standby (rather than off) using the Set button, ML doesn't load and it wakes into ML-Off mode. I am guessing this is to do with 'power on + set' behaviour to boot without ML also being applied on waking from standby - so might be considered a feature rather than a bug by some.  :D

Pernod

Further testing has given the below.

• Occasionally (20% of the time?) things work fine for the first ETTR attempt after a power cycle, but then stop again from then on.
  • Error message given is "ETTR Failed".
  • Turing Dual ISO off and/or unlinking Dual ISO does not resolve the issue.
  • Completely deactivating Dual ISO does resolve it. Correction - re-testing all these statements showed this isn't the case.
  • Occurs on both 'set' and 'double half click' activation modes.
  • Works fine in live view mode and 'Auto SNAP' mode

Anyone got any ideas? It's dual ISO that's the most value to me so really don't want to deactivate that, but ETTR is so handy to have given I shoot in manual mode most of the time.

Pernod

In case any other 7D owners stumble on this thread with the same issue - I've given up.

Nothing seems to get this to work.

(I think I'll probably uninstall ML TBH as this was such a major feature that I was after)