· (Quick Tip) RAW Video Focus Peak without Global Draw.

Started by johannsebastianbach, January 26, 2016, 09:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johannsebastianbach

Hello everybody.

The ML Focus Peak option is totally fine but my problem with Global Draw is, that it often cause me pink corrupted frames if I, for example, do Slow Motion stuff (probably because it is using the CPU and the camera doesn't have enough resources to write down the Raw data on the card?). I am normally using the DIGIC peaking "slightly sharper" mode and it helps focusing during the recording with global draw off (light on the CPU).

I was experimenting with picture styles for the best liveview preview option and found out, that when you use DIGIC slightly sharper additionally to Picture Style "sharpen +7" it over-sharpens and actually defines the edges like a focus peaker would do. Of course, the effect is not as strong as ML peaker, but if you want/need to turn off Global Draw during recording to ease out the CPU, try it out.

Kharak

Interesting that you mention pink frames with Focus peaking, because I have been dealing with Pink Frames now for a long time.

I always use Overlay Focus Peaking + Digic Peaking + (7+) Sharpness.

I will try to deactivate the Overlay Focus Peaking and see if it helps.
once you go raw you never go back

johannsebastianbach

Quote from: Kharak on January 26, 2016, 09:16:12 PM
Interesting that you mention pink frames with Focus peaking, because I have been dealing with Pink Frames now for a long time.

I always use Overlay Focus Peaking + Digic Peaking + (7+) Sharpness.

I will try to deactivate the Overlay Focus Peaking and see if it helps.

I deactivated Global Draw completely during recording (there is a MLV option for that). Cropmarks could be replaced with sticky tape.

If I shoot (5DmkIII / 128 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro) 1920x490 in 50fps without Global Draw I am not getting any pink frames. Anything more stressing than that is leading to corruption. E.g. 60 fps or Global Draw on. Unfortunately I understood it after making a months-long project.. Could have saved myself a lot of headache.

Btw. RAW Video 1.0 (not MLV) works also way better. Global Draw, or 60 fps no problem. But I really like MLVFS as a space saving workflow and unfortunately it can open only MLV's  :-[

QuickHitRecord

Neat tip. I'm using it in conjunction with "slightly sharper" Digic Peaking (but I don't usually shoot slow motion).
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

hjfilmspeed

I too get currpted frame with MLV sound and global draw and RAW Zebras. Without global draw its fine. Standard RAW works for me with Global draw. Are you using MLV?
I think this is the case but I am still doing more testing. Check out some of my tests. We are having similar issues.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16524.msg161093#msg161093

Kharak

I have been shooting now for a few days without Overlay Focus Peaking and have not had one single corrupt frame, so from my side I can confirm that it is the Overlay Focus peaking causing the Corrupt frames. Especially Slow Mo would generate corrupt frames and so far it has also been 100%.

its a shame really, because I have become very accustomed to all 3 types of Peaking together for a very confident focus.

""Edit: Changed my mind about this part""
once you go raw you never go back