My camera died!! Need help!

Started by Jyoti, January 22, 2016, 03:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Do you own a decent cardreader? Try running some benchmark test.
Windows: CrystalDiskMark or ATTO.
OS X: Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.

Compare with ML's benchmark. Photo mode, global draw off. Debug tab -> Benchmark -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min)
Press play button after benchmark start.

Jyoti

I have a card reader by Anker. It's quite old I guess. Don't know what qualifies as decent so can't really answer that.

I will try some benchmarks today.

My main concern right now is how to proceed though.

Walter Schulz

Decent CF-card reader = Supports UDMA-7. Has an interface on par with UDMA-7: USB 3.x, IEEE 1394–2008 (,,FireWire S3200"), ExpressCard, eSATA ...
Look at http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/card-readers/
I'm using Kingston FCR-HS3 and think about replacing it with FCR-HS4.

Jyoti

To be honest I had no idea it matters.
I just assumed it's simple file transferring. I wasn't aware that there are differences.

My CF card is UDMA-7 by Kingston, 64gig but like I said I didn't know the card reader needs to be "special".

Walter Schulz

The only company I know having a disclaimer about cardreader compatibility is Komputerbay. Their CF-cards may get permanently damaged if used in cardreaders not compatible with UDMA-7.
Other manufacturers may not have this problem.

Walter Schulz

This reader is slow as hell (USB 1.1 -> 1.5 MByte/s theoretical bandwidth) and direct transfer cam->PC will actually do better. And outdated as hell, too.
But a decent USB 3.x cardreader will do about 150 MByte/s (9-10 x cam's USB speed) if connected to USB 3.x interface and card is up to this speed. And most UDMA-7 cards are.

Jyoti

Juts came back from a park.
Took pictures, made videos (with ML)...

So what should I do?
Leave it as is?
Re-install ML?

How do I prevent these problems from happening again?
Not copy from camera but get a card reader?

BTW, can you format the card via the cam or not?
Otherwise if I have hundreds to thousands of pictures how are you supposed to delete them? Go one by one and delete manually?

Jyoti

I live in London.
If you could tell me a few of the best card readers to buy from Amazon UK I'll just buy one 8^)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Jyoti on January 24, 2016, 03:38:53 PM
So what should I do?

Doing some benchmark runs first and contacting Kingston support. Ask for card replacement.
Cardreader: http://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?p=3100126

Jyoti

Crystaldisk:
550.9 | 533.6
218.9 | 204.4
513.9 | 507.8
32.48 | 57.60

Walter Schulz

Jyoti

At the risk of sounding even more silly... then I don't know how to do it because when I choose it from the folder option and test while the light of the card reader blinks to indicate that it's running nothing happens no matter how long it lasts.

Walter Schulz

I think this card has left us. Contact Kingston and ask for replacement.

DeafEyeJedi

I have two of the Kingston FCR-HS4 which has been serving me well ever since my Hoodman died out on me earlier this year.

Plus FCR-HS4 has a deep pocket for CF to slide into which feels safer and less prone to damaging the pins internally.

Thanks for recommending a fine tool for such a low price, @Walter Schulz!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Jyoti

Just wanted to say... I didn't disappear.
I broke my leg a few days ago and had to redo my computer as well.

OK.
So I'll get a new card.
Once I do, what do I do?
Copy ML files to it and re-install the FW?