My camera died!! Need help!

Started by Jyoti, January 22, 2016, 03:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jyoti

Had ML for over a week.
Canon 7D. 2.0.3
Everything seemed ok.
This morning I made a few videos, plugged the camera (with a usb) to the computer, copied a few of the files, unplugged it and several minutes later realised that it's not turning on at all. Nothing. Nada. No lights, no nothing.

What can I do?

I did just unplug the usb without safe disconnection (though I've never done that in my life and nothing ever happened before).

Please help me.

Walter Schulz

Remove battery, remove card.
Load battery.
Insert battery. Don't insert card.
Startup cam.
Report results.

Datadogie

Did you accidently cut the exe file and paste.  Check your card and make sure all the files are their.
Remember do not delete the files from your camera as when you first loaded it onto the card there is a hidden file telling canon to boot from card. Therefore if no exe file it will hang and hang looking for it.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

hjfilmspeed

+1 on what these guys said. Don't panic. Next time don't transfer via USB. I have never used the USB. Get yourself a good card reader

budafilms

Jyoti

Walter:
QuoteRemove battery, remove card.
Load battery.
Insert battery. Don't insert card.
Startup cam.
Report results.

I've done these things. There is no change.
Nothing happens. The power light doesn't even turn on.

Datadogie:
I don't know.
I can't see any exe file.
I will include pictures of what files I can see on the card

hjfilmspeed... I am panicking

* I don't understand how to include pictures. I'm clicking on the "attachments and other options" but there is nothing there to include an attachment with.

Basically, I see these folders:
DCIM
MISC
ML

and the files:
AUTOEXEC.BIN
ML-SETUP.FIR

Inside the ML folder I see these folders and files:
CROPMKS
DATA
FONTS
LOGS
MODULES
SCRIPTS
SETTINGS

DOCS
README

Jyoti

should I re-copy the original ML installation files?

Ottoga

What happens if you turn the camera on without a CF card inserted?
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

Walter Schulz

Do you have only one battery? Are you able to test this battery in another cam?
Or try to get hold of a second one and test.

Jyoti

@ Ottoga
Nothing happens.
Absolutely nothing.
Like I said, even the power light doesn't turn on.

@Walter
I have three batteries, I charged and tried all of them.

Walter Schulz

Last resort:
Backup Autoexec.bin and copy the one found in 1) Portable display Test http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0 to card.
- Insert battery and close compartment door
- Insert card and close compartment door

If there is any kind of activity: Good!
If there is not: Looks pretty much like hardware failure.

Jyoti

JESUS

It's ALIVE!

Yes, something is happening but I don't know what to do now.

It says:
Magic Lantern Rescue
----------------------
- camera: 7d
-camera model: canon eos 7d
-firmware version: ??? / ???
-IMG naming: 100EOS7d/IMG_0000.JPG
-Artist: ???
-Copyright: ???
User PS: ??? ??? ???
Boot flags: FIR=0 BOOT=-1 RAM=-1 UPD=-1
ROMBASEADDR: 0xFF010000
-DONE!

What do I do now?
Turn it on and off?
Reinstall somehow?
Remove ML?

a1ex

It means we can at least investigate it.

However, because of the dual processor, this is going to be difficult.

Before continuing, please copy ML/LOGS/ROM*.BIN from your ML card to PC if you haven't done so when installing.

Do you have access to a second Canon camera that runs ML? I'd like to try this first: http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13070

Jyoti

No I don't have any other cameras.

So should I turn the camera off, connect the card to the computer, copy the files you sad to... and then what?

Walter Schulz

You can't switch off the cam. You have to remove battery and remove card. As long as this debug autoexec.bin is located on the card it will do the display test. Rename or delete autoexec.bin and copy ML's "normal" autoexec.bin to card.

Backup those ROM files (don't link them here, that may be illegal because they belong Canon) and send a1ex a PM.

Jyoti

OK.
I simply copied ALL the files to my computer, copied the autoexec.bin file from the original folder of the ML firmware download (i.e, not the "corrupt one" from the camera) and the camera is "fully" operational now.

It's odd though... it look like the original Canon firmware only appears to have less options and although it still shows the firmware ver as: 2.0.3-mi-nightly.2 I can't access ML at all even when clicking on the trash can.

what will be the safest way to continue?
Should I wait for you to analyze the files (I will contact Alex) or can I somehow re-flash / install the original 2.0.3 or 2.0.5 Canon firmware?

BTW... when this is over I'm buying you guys a beer ;-)

Jyoti

OK

Something else is going on.
The battery was blinking as though it's about to die (which I thought was odd since I charged them) so I turned it off and replaced the battery and it did the same.

I just checked my batteries by plugging them to the charger and according to the charger they are all almost fully charged...
This is weird.

a1ex

Are you in M mode? Can you start the camera without a card now?

If yes, I'd say clear Canon settings and check if the camera is operating normally without ML (take a picture, record a movie, check some menus).

Walter Schulz

Tip: Power switch does not switch off power supply. If there is something to test *always* remove battery and insert it before going on.

Walter Schulz

@a1ex: Would it help trying to start in C1-C3 mode?

a1ex

Jyoti

Yes I'm in M mode.

Since the whole thing with the batteries seems a bit odd if not straight on fishy I'm going to give them some time on the charger before attempting to use the camera.
I'll write back in 30-60 minutes with an update

axelcine

Quote reply #16: "Something else is going on.
The battery was blinking as though it's about to die"

Was battery blinking like mad when in the charger? If so, then maybe you could look here...:

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/10/canon-product-advisory-lp-e6-dslr-battery
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

hjfilmspeed

+1 all ML users should read this ^^^^

Jyoti

OK...

Put a fully charged canon battery in.
Took a few pictures.
Made a short video (of my lamp).
Used the auto mode.

Seems to be working however...
The camera turns on and off a lot slower.

What should I do now?
Should I format the card and re-install ML?
Do I first need to reinstall Canon 2.0.3 ?
Should I check other functions first?