Dual iso for MLV

Started by ibrahim, January 19, 2016, 06:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibrahim

I've noticed that I get to much noise in my footages that are filmed in low light due to the lack of light here in the cold winter in Sweden. :D
A solution that I came across here is using dual iso. However, I have tried to download, install and use several plugin but haven't succeeded in post-editing my dual iso footage. There are plenty of bugs and complications.

The workflow I use is converting my MLV to cDNG using raw2cdng 1.6.5. For there I don't know how to edit my dual iso footage. I use win 7 on a 5d3 firmware 1.1.3.
I use Lr, then AE and for cutting/editing I use Pr in the end of my workflow. I need to edit dual iso on thousands of DNG images not a few RAW images.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

Levas

My guess is that you still have cdng files with horizontal lines, dark ones and bright ones ?

You need a program that somehow merges the dual-iso files to one exposure
MLVFS can do that and works on windows:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.0

ibrahim

I've been checking that since then. It seems that the app is still under development and not stable yet for windows.

The reason why I've turned myself towards dual iso is because much of the noise is removed apart from the increased dynamic range.
Is there another way to remove noise. I'm getting quite alot with my 5d3 in RAW despite the fact that I shoot at ISO 80, 160 or 320.
I use increments of 160. I've used denoise in Lr and even afterwards in Ae or Pr using denoiser II, but I still get noticeable noise especially in the darker areas.
Which parameter in the ML menu or other thing increase my noise?
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

Danne

Plenty information on sensor noise. Generally you will get less noise when overexposing roughly 2 stops. Or measure your shadow areas. You can use up to 1600 iso and get good quality this way.

dmilligan

Quote from: ibrahim on January 26, 2016, 04:53:03 PM
It seems that the app is still under development and not stable yet for windows.
Well, it's sort of the opposite (but with the same effect): the Windows version is not under development at all => there's no one to work on it or maintain it, so it has fallen way behind, and so it is missing most of the features the current Mac/Linux versions have (like dual ISO processing).

shutter, aperture, and ISO

shutter too fast => more noise
aperture too closed => more noise
ISO too low => more noise

ibrahim

Thanks another question.

When I do grading in Lr or ACR, do I remove noise (color/luminance) before OR after changing the wb/shadows/exposure/highlights/sharpening etc.

What about increasing the shadows and decrease the highlight, does that affect the noise?

Walter Schulz

LR/ACR will apply changes to output/export in a predefined order. It doesn't matter for output/export if you do sharpening before or after changing exposure (for example) or noise reduction. LR/ACR does non-destructive editing and not - like programs doing destructive pixel manipulation - changing content in the order settings are applied by users.
In LR you can change back any setting any time you like in any order you like and you will get same results. In tools with destructive workflow it's impossible. You can undo steps but sequence of steps forward/backward is of importance.

There is however a preferred workflow sequence in LR and that's from top to bottom (according to LR designers).

ibrahim

Quote from: dmilligan on January 26, 2016, 06:22:15 PM
Well, it's sort of the opposite (but with the same effect): the Windows version is not under development at all => there's no one to work on it or maintain it, so it has fallen way behind, and so it is missing most of the features the current Mac/Linux versions have (like dual ISO processing).
shutter, aperture, and ISO

I'm planning to use linux on my windows. Where can I find the download link of the application used for dual iso and its installation guide for linux on win 7 on the forum?

dmilligan

Well, actually MLVFS is now fully supported on Windows since a couple of weeks ago => http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.msg161902#msg161902

You'll want to read from the linked post to the end of the thread. This is in active development so there are updates frequently to fix bugs etc.

newsense

I've been checking that since then. It seems that the app is still under development and not stable yet for windows.

The reason why I've turned myself towards dual iso is because much of the noise is removed apart from the increased dynamic range.
Is there another way to remove noise. I'm getting quite alot with my 5d3 in RAW despite the fact that I shoot at ISO 80, 160 or 320.
I use increments of 160. I've used denoise in Lr and even afterwards in Ae or Pr using denoiser II, but I still get noticeable noise especially in the darker areas.

Does shooting in increments of 160 help at all when shooting raw? Is it recommended to denoise/sharpen in LR/ACR or do it later with plugins, with ACR you only see the first frame so it's hard.

DeafEyeJedi

Increments of 160 is recommended for H264 as usual whereas increments of 200 is for RAW/MLV.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

newsense

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 06, 2016, 06:56:30 AM
Increments of 160 is recommended for H264 as usual whereas increments of 200 is for RAW/MLV.

Thanks, didn't know that. Do I just shoot at iso 200,400,600... using canon iso or do i need to enable ml digital iso? any other settings to optimize raw recording?