Auto-restart feature for long interview recording

Started by 15kgrit, January 19, 2016, 01:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

15kgrit

I understand that auto-restart loses a few frames while restarting. When does the auto-restart feature come into play?

I am recording long interviews lasting 45 mins to an hour. My 6D will record a movie in 4GB chunks without losing any frames. I have to simply group the files in post which is no issue at all. Each file is around 12 mins long. This way, I get a 29 min 59 sec of total recording. Then the recording stops.

Will the auto-restart feature of ML come into play between the 4GB chunks or will it only apply at the end of 29 mins and 59 secs? I don't want it to apply after recording 4GB because the lost frames would not be desirable. But I don't mind the lost frames at the 30 min mark. I can work with that with my second camera.

Walter Schulz

Canon stops recording. ML restarts recording.
Works like a user pressing record button again after it stops.

15kgrit

Thanks for the quick response.
To confirm, ML does not interfere with the 4GB files within a 29:59 bracket of time. It only starts recording when the 29:59 limit is reached and the camera stops recording.

Walter Schulz

Canon stops recording. ML restarts recording. ML doesn't care that much why the cam stops on its own. That's for H.264, of course.
MLV/RAW doesn't have a 29:59 limitation anymore.

Datadogie

For an interview or long recording mutch better to use a timer set 10 minutes and stop start yourself I between questions or natural break. If you have two cameras you can always cut to the other.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.