Stereovision application with magiclantern

Started by lberger, December 30, 2015, 07:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lberger

Hi,
I'm new in this forum and my english is not good at all so I will try to explain my problem.
I haven't got any cameras but I want to buy two cameras for stereovision applications in real time. Hence I need to connect my two cameras with my computer. I have got canon SDK and  I have found after magiclantern website. I am  interesting by video in raw format (without compression) too.

My question is about software :
Is it possible to develop my own application to control canon camera (exposition, shutter speed, ....)  ? (i think answer is yes with canon sdk)
Is it possible to develop my own application to control canon camera if I use magiclantern as firmware? if yes what will I need to do it?

Thanks in advance for your answer

PS I use visual studio C++ 2013-2015 on windows 10-64 bits

dmilligan

ML is not firmware. It does not replace the Canon firmware, its just a program that runs along side it. So everything you can do without ML, is still present with ML installed. This includes the builtin USB PTP stuff (Canon SDK).

The biggest problem you are going to face for stereo applications is genlock (getting the two cameras in sync). AFAIK there's currently no foolproof way to get two cameras in sync and keep them in sync. Many people have asked and tried, just search the forum for 'genlock', but this is a very large and challenging problem, that currently has no good solution.  It may be something that is possible, but there is a huge amount of work and reverse engineering required for a working solution.

If you are going to buy cameras for this, consider selecting cameras that have this capability built in. Trying to use Canon DSLRs for this application is probably not a good idea; save yourself a lot of time and effort and buy cameras that have genlock capability builtin.

lberger

thanks you for your answer. (sorry for delay I though that  i would receive and email).

About sync camera I use two usb cable (with amplifier) do you think will I have genlock problem?

I think there is a model with GPS. how many digits are saved with picture? (I will know time difference between two pictures...)