Audio settings for the 5D3?

Started by adrefs, January 14, 2016, 06:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrefs

Does anyone know if the same audio settings that are available on the 5D Mk2 will ever be made available for the Mk3?  Thanks.

Walter Schulz

Please do some search.
Audio and Digic 5 ...

adrefs

I did do a search and found nothing.  Also, not sure what you mean by Audio and Digic 5?  When I do go to the Audio screen for ML I see an image of a 5D Mk3 that is completely different from my own.  It lists the 10 features that I used to have on my Mk2 and yet on my Mk3 I have only "Speaker volume" and "Beep, test tones".  So again, my question is, will these other audio functions ever be made available on the Mk3?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: adrefs on January 15, 2016, 06:01:27 PMI did do a search and found nothing.  Also, not sure what you mean by Audio and Digic 5?

Click!

Quote from: adrefs on January 15, 2016, 06:01:27 PMWhen I do go to the Audio screen for ML I see an image of a 5D Mk3 that is completely different from my own.

This one?

Read fineprint (third from bottom):

axelcine

Errrrrr? Which kind of 5D3's are we talking about? I got a 113 and a 123 and all the audio menu says is
Speaker Volume
Beep.test tones''
MLV Sound (ON)

As long as people still download the good old stable but completely outdated 2.0.3 we're getting stuck with these questions. Listen to what Walter has said a million times over: Go for the nightlies.

BTW My ML is a treasure chest - learn to love it.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

Walter Schulz

He is talking about the DSLR shown on www.magiclantern.fm (5D3) and the screens (5D2).

axelcine

Yes, Walter, I know that, I've been there myself and made a fool of myself. The trick is to dare to load ML into your cam and turn the cam on. And then we go from there.

But sooooooooooooo rewarding...!
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

adrefs

In response to Walter:  YES, that one!  It seems the only place that that screen exists is on the website, but not on an actual 5D Mk3.  Just as Axelcine stated it's not on his either.  I downloaded ML some time ago but every time I've asked about these audio functions it seems that I get less than helpful responses and I don't understand why.  The "audio" section of the forum states that all of those things are available (as they were on my Mk2) and when I did the search for Digic 5 all it was was a discussion of the chip...so what?  It still doesn't indicate when, if ever, these functions might be made available on a Mk 3.

Walter Schulz

ML development goes pretty much like "It's ready when it's ready". This is covered in FAQ, too.

axelcine

The 5D3 has headset out and a few important audio settings such as manual sound level and wind noise suppression in the Canon camera menu 4 (User Guide p. 236). That's just about all you need. The built-in mike is monaural; for stereo you must attach an external mike. This also works well with ML raw video recording. No need to duplicate in ML what's already in the Canon menus.

dmilligan

Why are we having this conversation again?

Quote from: adrefs on January 16, 2016, 11:08:52 PM
It still doesn't indicate when, if ever, these functions might be made available on a Mk 3.
The only safe assumption is never.

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#when_will_you_implement_xyz
Not only that, but the nature of development, especially the kind of reverse-engineering that goes on in the case of something like ML, is unpredictable. A single issue might be fixed in five minutes, or it may take six months years to solve.

Chasing the devs for ideas about timescales, feature implementations and so on is a little pushy. They will get to it in their own time and announce what they are working on and so on here. So feel free to ask about upcoming features, but the "when" question only really serves to slightly irritate devs.
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#any_progress_on_xyz
If you can't find anything about it in the relevant forum thread, it's safe to assume there was none.

If you are interested in XYZ and have the skills to improve it, feel free to do so and submit a pull request.

If you don't have the right skills, asking this question will only serve to annoy those who might have them. Doing some research about XYZ and sharing your findings would be much better - this may encourage others to take a look at it.

Quote from: adrefs on January 16, 2016, 11:08:52 PM
it seems that I get less than helpful responses and I don't understand why
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Never assume you are entitled to an answer. You are not; you aren't, after all, paying for the service. You will earn an answer, if you earn it, by asking a substantial, interesting, and thought-provoking question — one that implicitly contributes to the experience of the community rather than merely passively demanding knowledge from others.

On the other hand, making it clear that you are able and willing to help in the process of developing the solution is a very good start. "Would someone provide a pointer?", "What is my example missing?", and "What site should I have checked?" are more likely to get answered than "Please post the exact procedure I should use." because you're making it clear that you're truly willing to complete the process if someone can just point you in the right direction.