Update ML Firmware Version Without Losing Settings

Started by paulleavitt, January 14, 2016, 12:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulleavitt

Hey all! I searched for this, but couldn't find an answer, so I'm askin' it!

My ML build is getting on the old side (6 mo+), and so I downloaded the most recent nightly and was getting ready to install it when it dawned on me that that would mean re-customizing all of my settings. Is there a way that I can update without losing all of my settings?
Thanks!
Paul

Walter Schulz

Backup ML/Settings directory and overwrite existing files with extracted nightly build contents.
If it fails: Sorry. There is no guarantee settings will be compatible and no mimic implemented able to migrate settings.
Should work, though.

paulleavitt

Thanks! So I hate asking what are probably complete noob questions, but could you direct me to the documentation that would show me how to do that? I know some scripting, but I've not delved into the ML code at all, so I'm completely ignorant there.

Thanks so much!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: paulleavitt on January 14, 2016, 02:09:08 AM
Thanks! So I hate asking what are probably complete noob questions, but could you direct me to the documentation that would show me how to do that?

I'm a bit lost. What do you want to do?

RTLdan

Hi Paul!
If I understand you correctly, here is what I do:

- From the current memory card with all of my settings, I copy the "Magic.CFG" file. It's located in ML -> Settings -> Magic.CFG
- I paste the "Magic.CFG file into the settings folder for the unzipped new build, which is named identically  (ML -> Settings -> Magic CFG)
- I delete the whole ML folder and autoexec.bat from the memory card
- I paste the new build's ML folder and autoexec.bat onto the memory card

Voila! All my settings from the older build are now in the new build.
A word of warning though -- the new build may or may not be identical to the old builds in every possible way.
ALWAYS double check that the settings are right before shooting.

Hope this helps!
Best,
-Daniel

Walter Schulz

You have to copy *all* files and directories (if any) in ML\Settings to transfer settings. And you have to copy all additional modules (adv_int.mo for example) in ML\Modules and scripts in ML\Scripts, too. I expect various Lua scripts spreading soon and this will become an issue.

That's why I prefer copying newer nightly build contents to card and overwriting existing files if you want to keep settings. It will not take care of obsolete files (deleted from build) of course.

axelcine

I have transferred ("walterized") settings for my 700D through several nightly updates, and my 5D3_113 through two updates. My settings file on the 5D3 looks like this:
AUTOEXPO.EN
COPY2M.CFG
DEFLICK.EN
DOT_TUNE.EN
DUAL_ISO.EN
ETTR.EN
FILE_MAN.EN
LUA.EN
MAGIC.CFG
MLV_PLAY.EN
MLV_REC.EN
MLV_SND.EN
PIC_VIEW.EN
SILENT.EN
The .en-files represent modules, that are to be loaded and active - check!
In fact I'll try to exchange settings between my 5_113 and 5_123 - might work as long as I stick to functions, that are shared among the two cams.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass