5D3 raw w/external recorder ??

Started by raf702, January 12, 2016, 06:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raf702

Hey all so I currently use a gh4 w/Atomos assassin for 10-bit 422, etc. And now with the 5D3 I see the latest build 2015Dec20.5D3123 includes clean hdmi out. Could I use my Atomos assassin just as a viewing monitor, and not record externally to it? I appreciate any tips!

jonathan.grevsen

Yes and clean hdmi has been here for a long time

raf702

Great, and how about recording. Would it trigger the assassin to record as well? Or just the 5D3 would record internally? Thanks

dfort

Lars Steenhoff

record trigger works for h264, it won't trigger when using raw video recording.

raf702

Quote from: dfort on January 12, 2016, 01:14:17 PM
According to Atomos, yes:

http://www.atomos.com/cameras/
http://atomos.helponclick.com/kb/article/products/ninja/how-to-setup-the-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-with-the-atomos-ninja-2

The trick seems to be enable the Ctrl over HDMI. All standard Canon stuff, no ML trick to do this.

I see, good looking out.

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on January 12, 2016, 02:14:29 PM

I don't expect the assassin to record raw of course. But if the camera will record raw internally while simultaneously the assassin records ProRes. Seems to defeat the purpose of raw recording of course, but just wanted to know this in case I used my assassin just as a viewing monitor since it has luts, etc.

Kharak

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on January 12, 2016, 02:14:29 PM

You misunderstand, as Lars says, it wont trigger recording while recording RAW. Only h264 recording triggers external recorders.

You have to manually press record on your Assassin while recording RAW
once you go raw you never go back

raf702

Quote from: Kharak on January 12, 2016, 05:12:36 PM
You misunderstand, as Lars says, it wont trigger recording while recording RAW. Only h264 recording triggers external recorders.

You have to manually press record on your Assassin while recording RAW

Yes I understood that I have to manually press record on the camera and assassin. Camera records the raw while the assassin records ProRes. Which I was saying defeats the purpose of recording raw if I'm recording two different formats. That's why I'd be using the assassin strictly for monitoring purposes.

Also can the assassin or external recorders a like, record the mlv raw out of the 5D3? Or does the camera just output the h.264 through the hmdi even with mlv raw enabled

eyeland

Quotecan the assassin or external recorders a like, record the mlv raw out of the 5D3? Or does the camera just output the h.264 through the hmdi even with mlv raw enabled
The answer to most of your questions are present in the first page of the relevant sticky. In other words, these things have been debated over and over and asked again and again.
Also, to answer your question, no, as of now, you still only get the same tired 8bit signal via HDMI. Only difference as I understand it is that you get it prior to h264 compression and thus, slightly better than the in-camera .mov output.
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...