From Saint Petersburg to China, a transmongolian railway trip ! (5DMark3)

Started by Tao, January 11, 2016, 05:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tao

Hi,

This summer I took the mythic transsiberian adventure from Russie to China and passing through Mongolia. With a friend (seen in the video) we visited a dozen locations in one month, 3/5 of Russia, Mongolia from North to South, and then North-West China to Shanghai.

The editing and grading were painful but I hope I achieved to put together some kind of a story and something that redraws the magic of this trip, especially with the colors and the little sounds. There is misfocus, shaky frames stabilized etc. but that's how you learn I guess.

I used a 5D Mark III with Sigma 50mm 1.4 (mainly), Sigma 24mm 1.4 (rarely) and a Canon 70-200 4.0 non-IS (sometimes). Edited and graded in the latest Premiere Pro thanks to the RAW/LOG files.

Compression is really bad with Vimeo, there is a ProRes422 file (around 4Gb) that can be downloaded within the video.

Some photos can be seen here :https://thibaultelie.fr/album/transmongolien

Hope you enjoy it,
5D Mark III w/ Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4 + Sigma Art 24mm f/1.4 + Canon L 70-200 f/4.0

Danne

Very artistic. Creative angles. I liked it very much. The next latest chimney clip from the end was epic.

goldenchild9to5

@Tao WOW great work beautiful images.  What software did you use to convert RAW to DNG?

Tao

Thanks for the kind words!

@goldenchild9to5 I used raw2dng on mac then Cinelog-C with After Effects to get LOG files and then Premiere Pro for the grading (which nearly killed my laptop)
5D Mark III w/ Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4 + Sigma Art 24mm f/1.4 + Canon L 70-200 f/4.0

DeafEyeJedi

Excellent work @Tao and am glad you used Cinelog-C (did you apply another LUT from Cinelog-C on top of the flat log?) or did the grade solely in PP?

The chimney at the end was indeed epic and loved the DR and I think I saw a few crop-mode shots as well?

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful adventure!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

axelcine

Impressive even in HD, captivating - but I can't find the link to the uncompressed version.

I love the way you mix cleansound with music - adds autenticity. The shoots are great, composition and quality. Must have been the voyage of your life. Very well done, and inspirational for others trying to figure out how to make a voyage video..
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

Tao

@DeadEyeJedi : No I used a LUT for the 80 LUT pack (8830 IIRC). I tested it on 10 different shots and it added depth to the colors and continuity so I kept it. I had trouble with some shots but the useful CC 15 color editing tools helped a lot.

@axelcine : Click on the vimeo icon on the video thumbnail here and then click on the download button below the video (Original, 1920x1080, 4,361Go)

I tried to sum up the best things that I saw on travelogue videos on vimeo, and get rid of the worst. I believe the audio is an influence of the "Watchover" series of that italien filmmaker for example, which has great movement, editing and unreal visual composition.

That what an adventure yeah! Lots of things were not "filmable" or couldn't fit in the final cut, you only have a best-of of the best shots. I have another trip planned, alone this time, only one (smaller) country and I'm trying to figure out how to do something different that matches how I travel. I guess the best thing to do is to shoot all the interesting/beautiful things you can find and you'll find the narrative later, whether it's during the trip or 2 months after it. It's not like a short-movie where everything is planned from the beginning, you can come out with 10 different videos with the same footage. (I had the idea of doing a double-exposition True Detective-like video first, because I had timelapse shots etc. but it was too difficult and I had little footage that could fit the project)

axelcine

My browser still won't let me see the 4GB version, but then again it really doesn't matter too much. Your video is still an extremely fine voyage diary, depicting fine details of the regions of Russia and China you have visited. It is a joy to watch, and you're to be recommended for the fine work you have put into this video.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

Frisball

Brilliant work! Really love your style. Did I miss the China footage though? Wonderful background music, and the colour grading is superb.

Tao

@Frisball : Thanks for your comment ! (and sorry for the late reply) No you're right I broke one ND filter and was tired of shooting videos after Mongolia so there's only small train footage from China in the video.

ihillman

markodarko

Quote from: Danne on January 12, 2016, 12:39:03 AM
The next latest chimney clip from the end was epic.

+1. Loved the closing chimney shot.

Very lovely. Thank you for sharing.

Mark.

Mehmet Kozal

Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.