CF card bricked in 5DIII during firmware update to ML

Started by ben, January 06, 2016, 03:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Dear all,

Yesterday I had my Lexar 128GB 1066x Compact Flash card inside my Canon 5D Mark III and started a firmware update from Canon 1.2.3 to Magic Lantern nightly build 2014Aug07.5D3123. I am doing this very often as I remove ML when I don't need it for faster camera starts. The same camera and the same locked 1GB SD card containing the firmware were used, the CF card was freshly formatted providing an ExFAT partition.

With temperatures around 0°C/32F when doing the firmware update there were no visible activities, the display remained black and the LED was flashing constantly. After more than a minute I assumed that the firmware update got stuck and - because it's additionally and not replacing the original one - interrupted the process by removing the battery.

With the next try and still running Canon's original firmware on the camera the message "Card1 cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera." was displayed. It's kind of a well known message as I had several cards losing their partition structure and becoming raw after having issues with ML. It's okay, it's a nightly build. But this time I tried to format the card within the camera and got the error message  "Cannot format. Change card1." As the card was not accessible anymore I checked it using two Windows computers. They do not show any external storage media, even in Computer Management -> Disk Management. In OS X Disk Utility there is also no appropriate drive shown and Linux lists "No media" after connecting the card using two different readers.

My assumption is now that the controller on the card has been destroyed and therefore the card is not accessible anymore. It is only noticed by the camera as it would display the "No card1" message otherwise, but the cam may just checks resistance with no actual access to the card. There are no files I need to recover, but these cards costs a bunch of money so I would be happy for all other solutions than throwing it away.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Ben

Walter Schulz

Kharak

Try formatting in Windows. 2048K Allocation.

I had this happening to me more than a year ago, I honestly have forgotten how I got true it, but I was able to fix it.

I believe I just tried a bunch of stuff and eventually managed to make my computer recognize it. Try different Card Readers, and different USB ports.. I think I just did crazy stuff like that.
once you go raw you never go back