24p JPG image capture

Started by trip3980, January 05, 2016, 06:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmccullum

@trip3980 I clearly stated that I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud haha I just remembered reading the post, and thought it might be relevant. If it isnt, then that's fine by me! I'm definitely not looking to stifle progress in any way :)

Audionut

Quote from: trip3980 on January 08, 2016, 06:00:40 AM
I doubt that at this time canon would mess with magic lantern.  Its political suicide if canon brought up any kinda litigation with magic lantern. 

Which doesn't give us the right to do as we see fit.  There are reasons why the Magic Lantern team has the stance that it does regarding Canons IP, and dragging threads off-topic to discuss those issues is not the way forward.

There's only one way forward.
Quote from: dmilligan on January 06, 2016, 10:18:40 PM
The merits of MJPEG are completely obvious. There's no point in having an extended discussion about it. If you really want to help: figure out how to actually implement it.

Hint.

trip3980

@Audionut

Yes I know what ML's stance on canon's IP.  But my point still stands.  Canon had plenty of time to respond to the ML community.  Years actually. so at this point people just need to relax. 

cmccullum

@trip3980 At the risk of dragging this off topic discussion any farther, I'll clarify that the only reason I brought up the legal stance is because I didn't see a point in R&D for a feature that will never be implemented because it is outside of the scope of magic lantern. If it's a non-issue then just move on. I'm not the community police. Just trying to help the process by addressing a potential problem I saw. I thought the nature of my post was made clear, but maybe I was wrong. So to be perfectly clear: I was asking if this was an issue worth taking into consideration. if it isn't, great. Let's move forward

PaulHarwood856

Hey trip3980,

Thanks so much for the tip. I went into my noise reduction settings and turned it all the way up to strong I believe, and on the T3i it was high. The default is Standard I believe. Just to make sure, you said to turn up noise reduction to prevent colored noise, correct? Thanks again for the help.

- Paul Harwood

hjfilmspeed

I know this is a 4k JPEG image sequence discussion but id just like to say that I would rather have a sharper 1080p compressed option. Now that we see the much nicer details of the raw, its to bad we couldn't have a mildly compressed option like a motion JPEG sequence  in 1080 so if we want to get it right in camera and go straight to edit. How ever I wouldnt have a clue on coding this but if you had a 1920 x 1080 24p mjpeg option with cleaner details unlike canons rendering that would be awesome to have. I assume on the 5d3 there might be a slight chance of this but I'm sure it's extremely slim. And debayering with clean details like MLV at 24fps realtime probably cant happen and thats why we get our mushy canon codec. Coding that would probably be a nightmare if not impossible. Dreaming is nice tho.