Raw video problem

Started by guilhermecapelo, December 30, 2015, 11:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guilhermecapelo

Hello i have a canon 700D and when I film in the raw image is with those points in the video and I found the solution in a forum but I did not realize how to do chroma smoothing.

The forum said: To remove the auto focus pattern of dots use chroma smoothing, like CS 2x2, in whatever you're using going RAW or MLV to DNG. Alternative is pink dot remover (PDR) I think but never tried it.

Like you I'm using a 700d and 550d. I'm using Sandisk 95mb/s for the 700d and Sandisk 45mb/s for 550d. Recent builds with SRM module which doubles record time, making the 550d more usable for raw again and doesn't have the focus screen dots to remove

dfort

Chroma smoothing works on most of those dots but I've had situations where sometimes a few stray pixels show up anyway.

What seems to do a better job on them is MLV Producer for Windows. If you are on a Mac you might try to use MLP and map the pixels yourself. I did it for the EOSM, 1280x720 and it wasn't really that difficult though it is tedious.

I'm working on mapping focus pixels. It would be great if you could upload a dng file somewhere with information about the camera/resolution settings you used.

dfort

Quote from: guilhermecapelo on December 31, 2015, 03:40:25 AM
Raw video file : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1prbJOZBQMnZzl1Y2hGbW1Yc2c

That .RAW file isn't showing the focus pixels clear enough for me to work with it. I know that some people have been reporting that shooting black frames will show sensor noise but that noise also masks the focus pixels in this case. Just one dng frame from the shot that you posted (or another shot that clearly shows the dots) will help get me started but I'll need shots done is various lighting conditions in order to find all the focus pixels. My experience is that these focus pixels appear and disappear according to the brightness, color and possibly focus of a particular image.

By the way, if you want to take a real good look at the dots run dcraw like this:

dcraw -d -j -t 0 *.dng
or
dcraw -D -j -t 0 *.dng

This will convert the .dng frames to .pgm (portable graymap) files that can be opened in Photoshop and will more clearly show the locations of the focus pixels and other anomalies. From there I set the rulers in Photoshop to pixels and write down the x y coordinates. For example, from your image:

That particular pixel is at x=15 and y=12 and would be saved in a dcraw formatted "badpixel" list like this:

15    12    0

That 0 at the end is just a place holder for the date that the pixel was found but I don't go into that much detail. Here are the instruction from the dcraw man page:

QuoteList of your camera's dead pixels, so that dcraw can interpolate around them. Each line specifies the column, row, and UNIX time of death for one pixel. For example:

962     91 1028350000  # died between August 1 and 4, 2002
1285 1067 0                   # don't know when this pixel died

These coordinates are before any stretching or rotation, so use dcraw -j -t 0 to locate dead pixels.

dfort

@guilhermecapelo

A couple of questions--

• You are shooting raw which doesn't have metadata so I'm not sure which camera (700D or 550D) you used on that file you uploaded so could you please add that information when you post a file?
  • The screenshot you posted on shows a focus pixel pattern that looks like it was shot on the 550D in non-crop mode video. Is that correct?