recording + previewing ML Raw video via DJI Lightbridge 2?

Started by sines, January 01, 2016, 10:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sines

I'm about to dive into the world of UAV / drones and want to fly my 5D MKIII on a DJI Spreading Wings S1000+ with a DJI Ronin-M [why? because with a CineMilled plate I can use one gimbal for handheld and drone work] and control my flight path via DJI Lightbridge 2 + A2 controller.

I noticed that martinbennett70 used ML Raw when shooting his piece for Overfinch

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14085.0

There are numerous slow motion drone shots and I would love to know how would you monitor and start recording via DJI Lightbridge 2 and the OSD Android / iOS App, but my experience with using an external HDMI monitor while recording with ML Raw / MLV and a firmware of 1.2.3 creates a lot of lag, potentially corrupting the files we're recording while a camera is 400' in the air. I would hate to hose the shot because I was recording at a overcranked frame rate, running out of buffer space and having it drop frames or unexpectedly terminate the recording.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13974.0

Any experience or links to other relevant threads would be greatly appreciated.
Director | DoP | Creative Director
Arri Alexa · Arri IIC · Arritechno 35-90 · Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 6K · Canon 5D MKIII · DJI Focus, Matrice 600, Inspire 2, Ronin, Ronin-MX · Zeiss Standard Speeds · Zeiss Superspeed Contax Primes

mothaibaphoto

Interesting. You want to connect HDMI and USB the same time?
How do you intend to transmit USB feed?

cmccullum

I know this isn't what you're asking, but I can't seem to pick out any slo-mo drone shots from the video. Are you sure he even shot at a higher frame rate?

jonathan.grevsen

You should be able to get a hdmi feed (also with fps override) via the DJI Go App when using Lightbridge 2 controller. Controlling the camera and start/stop recording seems very difficult. I can control my 5D M3 remotely with dslrcontroller for Android and a small router connected to the camera. But it has never been a good idea to place a wifi unit at the uav since it can interfere with your flightcontroller. You could maybe install a manual servo to start/stop recordings. Another issue could be the performance of the Ronin M. Not all seems to have perfect results since there is no communication between the gimbal and A2 flightcontroller.

Kharak

Just a tip, use Composite Video out from your camera and transmit the video feed via analog to the pilot/camera operator, it's not as pretty but it has a faster live feed and its much safer for your drone controls, I am sure you are aware of these things, but nonetheless its out there for anyone else to read about also.

Composite video and Analog transmitters are also very cheap. And go with the 5.2 (or thereabout) ghz transmitters. I think its prohibited to go that high in most countries, but who's counting anyways.
once you go raw you never go back