What are these files?

Started by toby_stewart, February 17, 2015, 09:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toby_stewart

Hi all,

Just arrived back from a shoot and about to begin the conversion process. In the folders there are other files other than the .MLV's. I don't think it's metadata due to the file size, anyone got any ideas? The MLV files themselves seem to be completely fine - however, each take spanned for around 5 minutes which makes me think it has been split up in some way. If this is the case, is there anyway to re join them?

The files themselves have a .M00 extension which goes in chronological order up to around 5, and are all around 4.9gb. Im shooting on a 5d mark iii, MLV, 1920x1080 at 24fps overide.

Many thanks in advance.

dmilligan

Those are spanned MLV 'chunks'. The file size limit on most cameras is 4GB (b/c of FAT32), so MLV automatically splits MLV files when reaching this limit. You don't need to do anything to re-join the files, simply make sure they are all copied with the .MLV files and are present in the same directory so that whatever converter you are using can find them. Almost all MLV converters handle these split files automatically.

toby_stewart

toby_stewart

I'm looking through the footage, and the whole takes aren't present, they get clipped off halfway through of 3/4 through, which is a pain. Is there something I need to do in the conversion process to make sure they're brought back together? The camera managed to record every single take with no problems, such as frame skipping or the a stop in the recording, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks in advance for your help

dmilligan

Kharak

You might be missing some of the m.00 chunks.

Are you sure you have copied all of them before converting?
once you go raw you never go back

toby_stewart

Yep, copied everything over from each card used, and waited until it finished uploading everytime.

I'm using the paid version of RAWmagic

Any more info you need to help with the problem?

Thanks

toby_stewart

would it possibly be to do with the buffer? Im using 64gb Komputerbay 1000x CF cards, The shots seem to stop after about 4 minutes in... I waited a couple of minutes before taking my next shot but would I have needed to leave it longer?

dmilligan

dguest

Hey Toby,

Were you able to resolve this issue?  I'm having the same problem.

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

If your problem is with RAWmagic same answer applies: Not supported here, try supported converters.

JanKocbek

Hmm mine also splits MLV video file into 4/3 bigger video file and 1/4 smaller video file. Audio file remains one file (non embedded into video files), so I'm having 3 files in Resolve where should've been a 1 MLV file.

Using Raw2Cdng 1.7.4, will try lesser version. One possible other error with MLV, I've been using a different external microphone.

edit: It's been a converter problem, since Raw2cdng 1.6 (v2) version did not 'split' my MLV.

Kharak

Raw2cdng 1.7.4 is known for dropping random frames when converting and Resolve splits the sequence by every dropped frame.

Raw2cdng 1.6.5 is most stable so far. But I believe Chmee is working on one final version.
once you go raw you never go back