[resolved] Fps ramp problem 5d3

Started by cmccullum, December 28, 2015, 08:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmccullum

Tried fps ramping a couple of times I tried, for example, ramping from 24 to 5fps over 15 seconds shooting 1080 h264, but my recording keeps stopping automatically. What am I doing wrong here?

5d3 1.2.3 running latest nightly before current 12/20 build

hjfilmspeed

I assume RAW recording is disabled in the ML Menu right?

cmccullum

Yes. I'm recording h264. As I'm writing this post, I realized that there may be some sort an issue happening due to the 29 minute recording time limit.

take this example:
Fps ramp from 4>24fps
Camera says "ok run 29 minutes at 4fps (record 6,960 frames)"
Basing 1 second on 4 frames, after ramping to 24fps the camera is counting 6x faster
Camera thinks it has recoded 29 minutes because it reached 6,960 frames and stops "early" as a result

Does that make sense? Could that be what's happening? Has anyone else had this issue??

hjfilmspeed

Try a shorter duration for the ramping and see what happens

cmccullum

I will try that and see what happens for the sake of testing, but the problem then is that I actually want to have a longer ramp duration for the desired effect.

I'm trying to find if there's something I'm doing wrong, or if this just isn't possible

hjfilmspeed

Hmmm I'm not sure. But I know if you record RAW with an exfat formated CF card you can record past 29 mins if you have the card space but I doubt you want to get into RAW for your current project

Walter Schulz

Seamless RAW recording beyond 29:59 border doesn't depend on exFAT. It will work with FAT32, too.

EDIT: Just tested with 650D and was unable to reproduce your issue. And I saw some fps-related changes in latest nightly. I suggest backing up ML directory, Autoexec.bin and *.fir. Then delete ML directory, Autoexec.bin and FIR from card. Copy latest nightly build to card. Try to reproduce your issue and report back

cmccullum

Thanks Walter. I'll try updating later today and see if that solves the problem

hjfilmspeed

Walter! Sorry I totally forgot! exFAT is for the 4GB limit so your RAW clips don't get split into multiple files! Sorry!

cmccullum

Ok! I finally got around to updating my nightly, and testing again. It seems the problem only occurs when ramping down from default to lower fps (from 24 to 5 for example). I suspect the issue is caused by the audio because starting at default frame rate does not disable audio recoding and everything gets out of whack as the frame rate changes

Anyone, please chime in and confirm, refute or resolve!
Thanks

cmccullum

Just tested with sound disabled (from canon menu) and it works fine. So the issue is with sound recording