Noob 70D question regarding RAW and/or 4k

Started by wbfrancis, December 25, 2015, 09:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbfrancis

I'm very new to ML, so forgive me if this is obvious.

Backstory:

Basically, for my short film, I'd like to have a shot with a very slow zoom. Problem is, my kit lens has a very stutter zoom at that speed. I was thinking I would just use keyframes in premiere to artificially make the zoom, but seeing how it's shot in 1080p, when I've zoomed in all the way in premiere it's pretty shitty quality.

Actual Question:

Does shooting in RAW affect the quality such that I could do this sort of scaling thing? Or is there any kind of hack to shoot with the 70D in 4k?

Also, if I'm shooting in RAW (or I've at least enabled that module), should I be seeing a different file type in my SD care? all I see is .mov files.

axelcine

EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

franknitty69

70d doesn't have the technological capability to shoot in 4K sorry.

For your opening shot you may have to use a different lens or use a 4K camera (G4, as7, etc).
Canon 70D (70D.111B)

dmilligan

A motion stabilization utility (for example the one built into AE) might be able fix a stuttering zoom in post. Attaching something to the zoom ring to give you more fine control, could also help (like a follow focus rig).