2015 Home Video Montage - 5DIII MLV

Started by jmanord, December 23, 2015, 07:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmanord

Just wanted to say thank you again to the Magic Lantern team. As a home video enthusiast, I have no skill at color grading/correcting video, so the flexibility of ML raw video, especially setting white balance, is the only way I can endure trying to put together something watchable. About 20% of the clips were shot on an a7s, which I sold to purchase the 5DIII earlier this year.

A few of the clips were adjusted in Lightroom, but the vast majority was done in Davinci Resolve 12. It's hard to believe that application is free. The only benefit to using Lightroom for me was the removal of chroma noise, but I quickly abandoned Lightroom for the much quicker workflow in Resolve. For any home video enthusiasts like myself using Resolve, make sure to use an external monitor when checking your footage (at least on a Mac). The GUI video player has colors that were slightly off after rendering the video. I exported the entire sequence to Prores 222 HQ and then ran it through Handbrake before uploading to YouTube.

I found I was having to push too many of the clips, even though I try to expose to the right. I'm going to enable the ETTR module and hopefully learn to use it to avoid that problem in the future.

Happy Holidays!

DeafEyeJedi

Any reason(s) why you used Handbrake after DR12?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

jmanord

I only used Handbrake after DR12 to get the file size small enough to upload to YouTube. I wanted to see what the quality of DR12's h264 export looks like, but for some reason it kept consuming all of my system RAM when encoding to h264. I have 32 GB, and it actually consumed 64GB when OSX started to use swap space, but it crashed on every attempt. I'm planning to upload the Prores version from DR12 to YouTube when we leave the house for a few days; it's over 9 GB and will take close to 2 days with my bandwidth. I'm curious if there is any noticeable quality improvement with one less compression round.

Any suggestions for final output to YouTube?

Ali Oliya

jmanord

Thank you. The majority of the shots are with 50mm primes ( Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AIS, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 50mm Art ) , and the rest are from the Samyang 135mm, Canon 24-70 Mk I, and Canon 70-200 IS II. I rented the 70-200, and it's now at the top of my list for future purchase. I would like to rent it again and test its stability with only a monopod.

_OLLE_

I'm also interested to see the difference between h264 and prores when uploading to Youtube!?

KelvinK

6D - 5D - NEX - M50!