MLVFS+AE vs. MLRAWViewer workflow.

Started by johannsebastianbach, December 22, 2015, 02:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johannsebastianbach

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the scene and after spending some long nights with Magic Lantern I believe magic lantern turned out really good. Everything works good and the raw video possibilities and image quality are amazing. There is one problem though.. The biggest stumbling block is the extended workflow of ML. With other cinema cameras you can shoot LOG ProRes and it's ready to go, you can spend your time being creative in cutting.

So one way (without doubling your footage size) I see to get your footage ready is to
MLV->
MLVS(really "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter)->
AE+AFX Script+ACR+VisionLOG->
ProRes4444(XQ?)
cons: -you need adobe, -one minute 50fps needs 30minutes on my computer.

And then I also see the option to use MLRAWViewer. This one opens up my MLV, I can look at in realtime even on my 2008 MacBook. I can already set In- and Out-points to save rendering time and space. I can already set the WB, exposure, especially the LOG-C and batch render my files (takes maybe 2-3 minutes). But it has some bugs and disadvantages: -black pixel line on the bottom. -doesnt automatically stretch my slowmotion footage out to the right aspect ratio which brings a extra rendering stage.

These things matter so much, if you have a terabyte of footage to work with. So the second option absolutely seems like the right thing to do or to develop on. My question is, what did I miss, that people don't?

Thank's in advance!

Danne

You can also use this workflow to render to Prores or any other format FFmpeg can deliver. It can be used with mlvfs as well.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13512.0

johannsebastianbach

Missed out this thread, going to check it out. Thank's Danne.

EDIT: Uff.. It's gonna take some time  :D

DeafEyeJedi

and remember time is your best friend and @Danne's MLP is a must have app in every Mac users' kits, period!

Yes, it works well for AE as well as other NLE's such as PP, DR12, etc ... If space concerns you then perhaps try MLVFS (or MLP) in conjunction w DR12 (it's definitely worth learning this free color grading friendly NLE) plus it renders really Clean Images and spits out ProRes quite fast!

I still use the good old MLRawViewer for quick viewing purposes and what not. MLP spits out DNG's faster than any app that I can think of other than MLVFS's virtual files.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

You should stick to the user_guide @jsb and pick a page of stuff you want to work with. No need to dig through the whole thing if you don,t want to of course :).

ibrahim

Is it correct to use MLRAWViewer to export to C-log and then use visionlog on Lightroom for best picture quality? Or should I export to something else in MLRAWVIewer if I want to use visionlog in Lightroom? If so which one.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600