Waiting for baby (provencal christmas crib) [dual-iso]

Started by illwieckz, December 18, 2015, 04:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illwieckz

Hi, this is some photos I shot two days ago to illustrate an advent/christmas article on my blog. Since I live in south of France I just had to go to the next church to shot some nice provencal crib pictures.

So, my purpose was to get some nice illustrations for a paper, not to get the best photo I can, and I did not have so much free time. I only took 4 pictures promptly and they not fully take advantage of the hardware, but they're nice anyway.

On this photo the dual-iso feature is used to not overexpose the background wall inside the barn:

Canon 5D Mark 3, Sigma 80mm ƒ/1.4, Magic Lantern dual-iso, crdhdr, Darktable 2

This two other photos are taken with dual-iso too but probably do not benefit a lot from that (except the first one was taken with another lens with twice less aperture, and perhaps it helps to get less noise):

Canon 5D Mark 3, Sigma 70-200mm (147mm) ƒ/2.8, Magic Lantern dual-iso, crdhdr, Darktable 2

Too bad I did'nt took my tripod with me, this picture would have benefit a lot from focus stacking (it's the worst one from my point of view):

Canon 5D Mark 3, Sigma 70-200mm (137mm) ƒ/2.8, Magic Lantern dual-iso, crdhdr, Darktable 2

This another photo relies on dual-iso too to get more details from the inside (but it was needed to keep a little the "too bright" effect to keep the natural feeling):

Canon 5D Mark 3, Sigma 80mm ƒ/1.4, Magic Lantern dual-iso, crdhdr, Darktable 2

All of these photo can be enlighten more and more thanks to dual-iso, but the purpose of these photos are not to reveal the potential of dual-iso mode and I wanted to keep the warm of a christmas crip shining in the dark and that atmosphere that enchant people a lot.

I'm sure it's possible to get the same shots without dual-iso, but dual-iso made it fast to do : I just had to enable dual-iso to get more amplitude in lightings, without having to take more time to adjust my camera settings, and since I was very short on my time, it's awesome. Magic Lantern not only helps to do better pic, it helps to save time ! And sometime it's good when you don't have the time for perfection. And that's the point I want to share with you : Magic Lantern not only helps to get better shots, it can save time ! ;-)