600D Recording with Sensor Crop 1:1 Pixel Ratio

Started by Windston, December 17, 2015, 07:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windston

This is especially important for planetary imaging on the astrophotography side of things.
This would be awesome to see on the 600D.

Is this possible

Walter Schulz

Not exactly sure what your problem with ML's features is. You can do framing very well by creating a 1:1 cropmark.

EDIT: You haven't got into detail about why this feature is so important. Please explain for non-astros.

Windston

No, I should have been more clear. I dont want a 1:1 crop, I want video that is a 1:1 pixel ratio from the sensor, no downscaling as this Thrashes fine planetary detail. Like the 550d Movie crop mode, 5x zoom at 640*480, which only uses the central 640*480 pixels of the sensor.

Walter Schulz

- Load MLV_REC.mo
- Restart in video mode and press zoom button (5x)
- Activate "RAW video (MLV)" -> Aspect Ratio 1:1
- Decrease resolution until "1:1" is actually set.
- Done

Ihoujin

I know your question has already been answered, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on tricks to use with it.
Note, I haven't had ML long, and am waiting for the opportunity to try this myself, but I think it'll work.

So, Besides 1:1 crop, there are cases where something else could be useful. For instance since 640 by X is the smallest resolution you can choose. Using something like 5:1 will crop the image down to 640x128. For planetary images that only take a small portion of the frame, this will help keep the buffer from overflowing and  in theory reduce overall file size by 5x.

To plan your framing. I use Stellarium, with it you can simulate the FOV your camera and telescope can produce. I can tell you that with my 1000mm F/5 scope, using 640x128 (5:1 crop) I can easily fit the bright Jupiter and the 4 dimmer Galilean moons in one frame. Coupled with HDR video, I think I can simultaneously capture properly exposed frames and compose them in post.

To config Stellarium the 600D sensor has these attributes.
Resolution: 5184*3456
Chip Width: 22.3
Chip Height: 14.9
Pixel width and height: 4.3
From there adjust resolution and chip size proportionally for custom crops.
You will also have to configure your telescope specs, eyepieces and barlows.

Enjoy.
Canon EOS T3i (600D)
ML v: Nightly.2015Nov15.600D102.Datensuppe

Amrch

Guys is that even possible to activate 5x crop mode and 60 FPS at the same time on 600D ?
Every time I switch I'm getting no more than 37fps which is so sad... I'm using 10bit modification. Resolution is not a problem cause I'm shooting planetary.