Optimize my hardware

Started by ibrahim, December 15, 2015, 05:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibrahim

HI,

I have a PC desktop and want to optimize it for two aims: 1) Optimize Pr CC 2015 while working with cDNG files; 2) Decrease the render time

My motherboard (Z87-G45) allows me to double RAM memory (from my currently 16 GB to 32GB), create raid 0 (with several SSD disks), add a graphic card (an extra Asus GeForce GTX 760) with bridge.

Due to my limited budget I need to prioritize on optimizing the Pr CC so that the software don't freeze which it does while editing 10-15 min long cDNG videos. I want to remove this problem. Therefore, my question is what should I optimize for this aim? :)
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

ansius

have you enabled adobe mercury playback engine for GTX 760 ?
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

budafilms

Only the GPU. But, gor for something faster than 760.
770, 780... 970...

ibrahim

Quote from: ansius on December 15, 2015, 06:35:27 PM
have you enabled adobe mercury playback engine for GTX 760 ?

Yes I have.

Quote from: budafilms on December 16, 2015, 04:57:35 AM
Only the GPU. But, gor for something faster than 760.
770, 780... 970...

If I change my GPU then I'll have to buy two GPUs. I've learned that using two with bridge is the best thing to do. I can't use two different models, they have to be identical.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

allemyr

Interesting subject. What's your budget? That's the main thing i guess. What CPU are you using with your motherboard, not that I would recommend changing that anyways, hopefully it's a i7 anyways.

The graphicscard i guess it's a bit of an issue. GTX 760 with 2gb vram for grades and nodes isn't overkill. I sould defenitely say that SSD's like Samsung EVO or Pro 850 in Raid 0 is way overkill. One big like 1-2tb is enough. But shure you get higher reading write and read speed but that's not crucial. I say that the Premiere Pro with CDNG files is an issue and that your GPU aswell is an issue. Have you tried Davinci Resolve?

budafilms

Yes try DaVinci Resolve. It's free, legal, more smart than Adobe and it's up to date for color and editing.  Even, you can share from Windows to OSX. Premiere it's not an option in the pro market.

ibrahim

Quote from: allemyr on December 18, 2015, 06:56:54 PM
Interesting subject. What's your budget? That's the main thing i guess. What CPU are you using with your motherboard, not that I would recommend changing that anyways, hopefully it's a i7 anyways.

The graphicscard i guess it's a bit of an issue. GTX 760 with 2gb vram for grades and nodes isn't overkill. I sould defenitely say that SSD's like Samsung EVO or Pro 850 in Raid 0 is way overkill. One big like 1-2tb is enough. But shure you get higher reading write and read speed but that's not crucial. I say that the Premiere Pro with CDNG files is an issue and that your GPU aswell is an issue. Have you tried Davinci Resolve?

My budget is around 600 euros for SSDs, GPU and RAM memory uppgrade; that is around 200 euros for each of these upgrades. Yes I use i7 processor (6 core) and 16 GB RAM (upgradable to 32 GB).
I am using a Asus GeForce GTX 760 but I can add another graphic card to my MSI Z87-G45 motherboard.

I tried uploading davinci resolve but found it very hard to find use and no tutorial to help me use the databse (media storage) properly. FOr isntance, I wanted to use davinci only for rendering since many claim that it is better than Pr/AE. I created an XML proect file from my finished Pr project file and imported it into davinci 11. However, it didn't open all the associated files. Don't know what the problem is and looked for solution on the internet without any result. Hence, I uninstalled the software and using Pr CC2015 (with imports and supports cDNG natively).