CR2 file cropped after importing to Photoshop (Fixed!)

Started by Kharak, December 14, 2015, 12:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kharak

Hi,

I've taken some Christmas pictures these last days and I noticed now when I import them in to Photoshop for editing, the images are cropped 16:9 or there about, but in the folder and when looking at the picture in a picture viewer, I see the full 3:2 image.

Adobe Camera Raw says the picture is only18,7 megapixels - 5760x3240

The jpeg's all have the crop when viewing in a picture viewer.

Camera 5D MK III

I am sure this has something to do with Metadata in the CR2 telling it to crop it like that, I also see the entire 3:2 in camera when viewing the pictures, but those two annoying overlay Blue Framing Lines go across the image, which I assume have something to do with this crop..  Always had the blue lines across when viewing in camera, since ML was installed. I don't know how to remove them.

I think I was taking pictures in movie mode because I had a Manual focus lens and needed edge image for accurate focus.

I haven't noticed before if my previous pictures have been cropped like this in photoshop.

I tried scaling up and down and all in Photoshop, but the remaining top and bottom 3.3 Megapixels don't exist to photoshop.

Please help me with this, these pictures are for Christmas cards that are supposed to be printed today!
once you go raw you never go back

Danne

It could have something to do with default scale tag. Not sure if that tag is there in the CR2. Check with exiftool and compare with a working CR2 file.
Generally best when people upload the problematic file in question for others to look at.

Walter Schulz

Open "link" in ACR's bottom line in the middle and look if there are any scaling options set.

Kharak

I will upload in a moment, and PM you.

the image is not scaled, the width is to it fullest. It is only top and bottom, like it was cropped for TV or so.

I suspect it has something to do with the blue overlay lines I get when watching pictures in my camera. ( Am I the only one?)

@ Walter.

The "resize to fit" is not ticked in and it says "Default 18.7 Megapixels" "5760x3240"

Walter Schulz

Select box and set pixel height and width according to expected values. HTH.
You may have to handle pics according to orientation.

Kharak

Thank you, I tried that now and it does not change anything. No matter how crazy I change it, 5760x5760 the image stays same size... :/

Walter Schulz

1.) What are other RAW converter showing? RAWtherapee? DPP?
2.) Tried running CR2 through Adobe DNGconverter?

Kharak

Rawtherapee shows entire image! Thank you!

But I am not good at Rawtherapee, just have it because...

I would like to get this fixed for PS

Edit. Tried DNG converter, the image has the same result in Photoshop

Walter Schulz

You know how to replace binary setting for AspectRatio from 7 (=16:9) to 256 via Exiftool?

Backup data (!) and run from command line/terminal (place Exiftool in dir where CR2 are):
.\Exiftool -b -Aspectratio+=249 dir
.\Exiftool -CroppedImageTop=0 dir
.\Exiftool -CroppedImageHeight=3840 dir

... Success ...

Danne

You need exiftool installed for this to work.

Just created a command file with Walter Schultz exact exiftool changes. Worked perfectly.
Put the command next to your file and double click it. See to it that you only have those files that you want to change in the folder. It will run a wildcard on every CR2 in that specific folder.
Make copies of your originals.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfirR1BQLWF5QTBIRlE/view?usp=sharing

If the command file asks for permission write following in terminal

chmod u=rwx [drag your command file here]
press enter

Kharak

I can't get it to work.

just to be clear, I am on Windows machine.

When I double click the Command file, windows prompts me to what program I want to open the file with. I can't choose the CR2 file and I also tried Exiftool, I don't know if that is suppose to do anything, but I tried and it doesn't work either.

But you also said I need to have Exiftool "installed", I don't have an installation of Exiftool, only a zip file which contains 'Exiftool (-k)' maybe thats my problem?

@Walter, no I am very unfamiliar with any thing binary of the sorts and so on, sorry.

I run Cmd and drag and drop the Command file over it and it asks me to open it with Meta Read and write, but it does not work. I get this message"

ExifTool Version Number         : 10.07
File Name                       : Aspect_Ratio.command
Directory                       : C:/Users/Hava/Desktop/agagh
File Size                       : 162 bytes
File Modification Date/Time     : 2015:12:14 14:20:20+01:00
File Access Date/Time           : 2015:12:14 14:20:17+01:00
File Creation Date/Time         : 2015:12:14 14:20:17+01:00
File Permissions                : rw-rw-rw-
Error                           : Unknown file type
-- press RETURN --

I just downloaded the newest version of Exiftool http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

The previous version would open for 1 sec before closing again.

vertigopix

You must drag you CR2 over exiftool(-k) to see informations about your file.

And you must open a command line prompt to type the commands from Walter.

Danne

Kharak

I am obviously doing something wrong.

But I am not good at this.

cmd reports all my commands as unrecognizable

So I tried these things.

Drag Cr2 over Exiftool and I get all Metadata information, keep it open and I open cmd and type the commands from Walter like this:

C:\Users\Hava\Desktop\agagh.\Exiftool(-k) -b -Aspectratio+=249 dir

Also with all 3 command lines and with and without the ( . ) after the agagh

Unrecognized everytime. I am sure this is my incompetence to understand what has to be done.

@Danne, thank you for the help even though!

vertigopix

If you open a command prompt and just type "exiftool", do you get something ?

Kharak

no, same as the others, unrecognized command /internal etc..

vertigopix

Ok

So, create a directory in you drive and copy you files and exiftool in it. If you exiftool is "exiftool(-k)", just rename it to exiftool
Go to this directory in command line and type "exiftool" to see if it work.

After this you can try the commands from Walter (without any . , this is for linux)

vertigopix

For windows the commands are :

exiftool -b -Aspectratio+=249 *.cr2
exiftool -CroppedImageTop=0 *.cr2
exiftool -CroppedImageHeight=3840 *.cr2

walter_schulz

- Rename exiftool(-k).exe to exiftool.exe
- Place exiftool.exe in the same directory where your CR2 files are
- In Explorer press Shift key and open context menu for this folder (Shift + right) mouse key
- Select "Open command prompt here"
In this new window give the commands

Exiftool -b -Aspectratio+=249 dir
Exiftool -CroppedImageTop=0 dir
Exiftool -CroppedImageHeight=3840 dir

vertigopix

Kharak

Finally!!!

Thank you! The open command window here did the trick!

My girlfriend has been pacing back and forth behind me now for 2 hours.. 5 more mins and I would be dead!

You guys didn't just make a picture bigger, you saved a life today ;)

I gotta get to work with the clone stamping now!!

vertigopix

Walter Schulz

I'm trying to find out which setting is responsible for exif tag
"Aspect Ratio = 16:9" (binary 7)
and
"CroppedImageHeight=3240" (instead of 3840)
and
"CroppedImageTop=300"
on Kharak's 5D3.

I tried using Canon 650D's menu setting "Aspect Ratio" but exif in RAW always shows 3:2 with binary 0.
Values for CroppedImageHeight and CroppedImageTop are unchanged, too.
I think Kharak is pretty much occupied with his present right now.
So: Anyone here seeing such an issue where RAWs in ACR have been cropped unintentionally?
Kharak used RAW+JPG but I'm unable to reproduce his issue right now with my cam.

@Kharak: Please zip your ML\Settings directory, upload and link it here.

EDIT: Got it - after looking up google ... who would have guessed ...
Shooting photo in video mode will have aspect ratio (Canon setting) written to RAW image's exif. Plus CroppedImageHeight and CroppedImageTop (or else) and ACR will read and use these tags.
Rather old news ...
Have to ask RAWtherapee programmer if his program works this way intentionally.

Erik Krause

I guess RAWtherapee inherits this behavior from dcraw, which does it intentionally.

Kharak

First of all thanks again, we managed to print the images today just before it closed.

My next post was gonna be about fixing this issue.  but I am glad to see you continued it here.

I will write more tomorrow, but FYI. RAWtherapee displayed the pictures correctly, so it ignores the crop meta data.