"Steady Shot" - combination of leveling sensor and motion detection algorithm

Started by Matthew Kieren, July 25, 2012, 10:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Kieren

A "steady shot" feature similar to what many camera apps for smartphones have for taking still photos. It waits until the camera isn't moving/shaking and then automatically takes the picture to minimize motion blur. Is this idea feasible?

More info:  http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1205/steady-shot-using-a-combination-of
Canon 60D, 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, Tascam DR-40
SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4, Yongnuo YN560-II

a1ex

I've tried something similar roughly one year ago.

The level sensor is NOT suitable for this - it's only sensitive on the roll axis, but the blur is caused by yaw and pitch motions.

So the only thing that it's likely to work is:

1) use liveview motion detection to estimate camera shake
2) predict (!) the amount of motion that will occur 200ms after (or whatever the shutter delay is).

Matthew Kieren

Hmm, so it sounds like the motion detection algorithm would need to be a bit more complex than I originally thought, and it still might not be good enough to be really useful. This would be very easy for camera manufacturers to implement though, they just need to throw some cheap gyroscopes in one.

Thanks for replying a1ex, I appreciate it.  :)
Canon 60D, 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, Tascam DR-40
SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4, Yongnuo YN560-II

a1ex

With this you can have another very cool feature: auto ISO based on motion level.

That is: you place camera on the table, static scene => ISO 100 with long exposure.

You hold the camera in your hand => high ISO, as much as to avoid motion blur (how much - maybe estimated from image analysis).

Still, it has a large degree of SF in it :)