How safe is it to use an extended battery pack/grip with magic lantern loaded?

Started by dj_ripcord, December 07, 2015, 04:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj_ripcord

Hello,

I am aware that removing the battery or SD card before magic lantern goes into standby could cause corruption, and brick the camera. Usually it will detect when you open the card door or the battery door and it will flash the led when its safe to remove the battery/card. If I am using an external battery however, that door is removed, and it can no longer tell when I am about to remove the battery. To mitigate this, I just pop open the SD card slot, and wait for the LED, and then I take out the battery. But what if I lend my camera to someone, or they pick it up without permission and remove the battery? What do I do then? Or am I just crazy and it really won't do any harm.

Thoughts?

ItsMeLenny

I've only ever used a grip (it's very rare that I won't use a grip) and I've never had a problem. (550D)
And don't lend your camera to complete morons I guess is the trick.

Walter Schulz

And at least remove ML card and insert "blank" one.
Even better: If you have a spare minute you may run firmware update with ML card inserted and remove cam's bootflag.

vertigopix

Never had a problem with grips on 60D and 6D. (Both are phottix grips)

QuoteAnd don't lend your camera to complete morons I guess is the trick.
;D

kichetof

axelcine

EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

PaulHarwood856

Whenever I go out shooting I use a battery grip for the T3i and 7D. I'm a big fan, and have complete confidence you will not experience issues versus without a battery grip. Be careful lending your camera to someone. Make sure to ask yourself how much your camera is really worth to you, and if the person is experienced and takes care of the equipment they already own. I hope this helps.

pilgrim

I think I never have a problem because the battery grip.  Sometime I forget to switch off the camera before change the battery (don't follow) and I don't have error on the card, at least not yet error.
On the other side, the battery grip keep the camera colder and less error on long operation (time lapse, etc). I use on T2 or 550D.

axelcine

EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

hjfilmspeed

Actually it's not the battery pull that can currupt. Its pulling the card out before the confirmation red blink. Actually as a rule of thumb, if in the rare occasion ML glitches or has an issue you are not supposed to shut the camera off. You are supposed to pull the battery out before you shut off cam using the power switch so the offendeding settings are not saved in the camera. Also I would recommend using can oem  accessories with ML including the grip. Correct me if I'm wrong guys

axelcine

@hjfilmspeed - I second that. In fact I am using original Canon batteries - I think I read somewhere in one of the ML threads that unoriginal batteries can cause trouble. But sometimes the money issue... alas!