Will Canon ever have 4k in their mainstream DSLRs?

Started by emphram, December 03, 2015, 06:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emphram

It seems like it's been ages since camera manufacturers started releasing 4k capable mirror-less cameras and camcorders. So far, neither Canon nor Nikon have released a single consumer APS-C DSLR or Mirrorless camera capable of 4k@24p or 4k@30p, and according to camera rumors on the internet, 2016 is shaping up to be no different.

I find this amazingly discouraging, as I really want to get into 4k video, but I don't want to buy Sony or Panasonic cameras. Surely Canon must be aware of how many videographers use their DSLR's as their camera of choice, with or without ML. My question is why are they not improving video capabilities? Even if we didn't get 4k video (so as to not compete with the cinema line), there are plenty of ways of improving current DSLR's video capabilities, such as improved dynamic range, better bit depth, reduced sensor noise, 120 FPS, better bit-rates, etc.

I just find it so odd that Canon (and Nikon) seem to have given up entirely on the video front of their products. Are they waiting for one or the other to make the first move (people have suggested Nikon is interested in bring 4k video to all their DSLR's) or are they trying to force people who want to do professional video to only use their cinema line (which would bankrupt people like me if I tried)?

nikki

the biggest productions are shot on film or alexa 2k ..   

dfort

The Hateful Eight was shot on 65mm film. Maybe that will start a new trend!

Ok--seriously. It is very easy to bash a large corporation because they are trying to maximize profits. It seems that everyone knows better than the Canon board of directors what the company should so with their camera line. What is clear is that in order to stay competitive Canon will have to introduce higher resolution cameras and in fact that is what they have done in their still and camcorder line. Note that their latest 5DS and 5DS R are a whopping 50.6 MP and their new XC10 camcorder is 4K. Oh but you want a DSLR that can shoot 4K? A "real" DSLR isn't well suited for shooting video. Mirrorless cameras like the Panasonic GH4 and Sony a7S are better at video but they aren't perfect and actually may be a bit worse for shooting stills. Of course the "perfect" still camera for a professional photographer and the "perfect" cine camera are two very different species.

So what am I saying with this senseless rambling? Nothing really.

By the way, the Nikon D810 with clean HDMI out is quite a video production beast so don't count them out.

One last thing, don't lose sight of what Magic Lantern is all about--these discussions are best left for the Canon Rumors forum.

RTLdan

While we are musing on the features that haven't really been exploited by Canon or Nikon, I'm still looking for the right camera at the right price with 4:2:2 10bit color as a standard feature (not hacked or HDMI out). I love my 6D, but the resolution isn't my biggest hurdle. I just don't love the color information available when shooting video. It might be a jump to Sony or even BMD at some point for me.
Best,
-Daniel

jviola2331

Does ML support canon T3 DSLR and would it be recommended to a photographer just starting out?

Walter Schulz

a) Wrong thread
b) T3/1100D is supported
c) Nope, in my opinion it is not recommended at all for DSLR newbies trying to master their cam with ML installed. Start mastering "plain" Canon stuff first and come back after knowing what you are doing.

emphram

Maybe I'm not up to date on cameras, but are you saying there is a better alternative for really low budget film making in the $1,500.00 USD price range than a DSLR or Mirrorless camera?

dfort

There are plenty of camcorders that shoot 4K if that is important to you. If you want a full frame sensor for that sexy bokeh then you should know that most DSLR's or mirrorless still cameras that do 4K either have smaller sensors or use only a part of the sensor when shooting 4K.

That XC10 I pointed out earlier has a 1 inch senser which may seem small until you compare it to the other 4K cameras in that price range.

Hopefully there will be some large sensor 4K affordable still/video cameras in the future but for now the indie filmmaker has lots of options in the $1,500 USD price range.

DeafEyeJedi

Get an XC10 and don't get me wrong it is a fun camera for that price. It shoots slo-mo w nice built in glass along w 4K. Yes, I know It's not exactly a DSLR but TBH it feels like one and their menu settings are just like the ones we see on our DSLR's. What more can you ask for?

I've used it for work under situations where it's prone to getting wet or shot at by a ball/bat, paintball, etc ... But it doesn't shoot RAW so keep that in mind.

Nothing will take me away from ML MLV RAW and forever I will always be grateful for this wonderful piece of software. It's so dreamy and yet so powerful & real!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

KelvinK

Canon can wake up, if Nikon will make 4k and Nikon will do since rumors about that Nikon will be using Samsung's NX technologies come from very trusted sources.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

dfort

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

emphram

So... anyone watching CES this year just noticed that Nikon announced the D5 (full frame) and the D500 (APS-C)... both with 4K UHD. Only complaint? Prices are still too high. I guess Canon will soon follow up with their own competing cameras (for 50 - 100 USD less), and by soon I mean maybe next year, but I'm hoping they will do it towards last quarter of the year.

nikfreak

I bet Canon was prepared for a new DX flagship from Nikon. We won't see a 7d MK3 popping up before 2017 and the yet to be announced 80D will not replace the 7d mk2. What's left? A firmware update providing 4k recording for 7d MK2 but I don't think that we can even see 4k hdmi out on top of that.

Anyways competition is good and the D500 specs are awesome but labor tests need to confirm the specs. Expectations are high. Expandable ISO up to 1,640,000 for a DX camera. Hats off Nikon, really!

Downside: Why in 2016 Nikon didn't chose to use H265 10bit and still uses H264 codec for recording? Even small embedded android TV players can do H265 on-the-fly.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Walter Schulz

H.265: Look up the royalty mess. Latest act was performed December 18. License fees on content was on the table once.

EDIT: And you cannot tell how much processing performance is needed for encoding by looking at a decoder.

emphram

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 07, 2016, 09:38:14 AM
H.265: Look up the royalty mess. Latest act was performed December 18. License fees on content was on the table once.

EDIT: And you cannot tell how much processing performance is needed for encoding by looking at a decoder.

I thought they lowered their licensing fees recently.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/19/hevc-license-deal-protects-4k-video/

In any case. The response from Canon should be interesting (if they even bother to address this). I wonder if this means that their smaller cameras will also get 4k video? I recently purchased a D3300, perhaps a new, D3500 with 4k video will come out later this year? If Nikon did that, then suddenly every Canon DSLR would be outclassed by Nikon. Also, the response from Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung should be very interesting.

emphram

Sorry to bump my own thread, but wow, what a time.

Nikon and Sony now have 4k APS-C cameras coming this year. Your move Canon. In fact, it's been your move for quite some time, but you keep passing.

Avenger 2.0

Canon 80D specs leaked, but no 4K, only 1080p 60fps  :-[

emphram

Quote from: Avenger 2.0 on February 16, 2016, 10:17:45 AM
Canon 80D specs leaked, but no 4K, only 1080p 60fps  :-[

We will have to wait until July to see if the rumors about a new 4k mirrorless Canon camera are true or not. To be honest though, the sony a6300 seems to have stolen the year. I really doubt Canon or Nikon will top it this year.

HappyBlack

Canon, Canon.. Where are you going?

80D:

High Definition
MOV
1920 x 1080p / 29.97 fps (90 Mbps) / 23.98 fps (90 Mbps)

High Definition
MP4
1920 x 1080p / 59.94 fps (60 Mbps) / 29.97 fps (30 Mbps) / 29.97 fps (12 Mbps)
/ 23.98 fps (30 Mbps)
1280 x 720p / 59.94 fps (26 Mbps) / 29.97 fps (4 Mbps)

Official samples site:
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos80d/

Video samples in stunning 960x540 resolution.

Should we laugh or cry?

emphram

Quote from: HappyBlack on February 18, 2016, 01:38:16 PM
Canon, Canon.. Where are you going?

80D:

High Definition
MOV
1920 x 1080p / 29.97 fps (90 Mbps) / 23.98 fps (90 Mbps)

High Definition
MP4
1920 x 1080p / 59.94 fps (60 Mbps) / 29.97 fps (30 Mbps) / 29.97 fps (12 Mbps)
/ 23.98 fps (30 Mbps)
1280 x 720p / 59.94 fps (26 Mbps) / 29.97 fps (4 Mbps)

Official samples site:
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos80d/

Video samples in stunning 960x540 resolution.

Should we laugh or cry?

Well... it certainly is stunning...  :o