Anybody know what happened to DSLR Controller?

Started by paulleavitt, December 01, 2015, 08:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulleavitt

I just got an iPad mini, and realized that I could use it as a monitor, but it looks like the last time DSLR Controller (BETA) was updated was summer of last year. Anyone know what happened, or if there's a new alternative now?
Thanks!
Paul

chris_overseas

Note that the Android version has much more functionality than the iOS version (so perhaps consider picking up a cheap compatible Android phone or tablet - just be careful which one you get), but that version hasn't been updated in a long time either. I suspect it's because Chainfire (the developer) wasn't seeing much return on investment, especially given the tricky and ongoing compatibility issues he was facing with APIs, USB ports and cables, and various other limitations he was hitting with the phone hardware and software. He has several other more mainstream mobile apps that are most likely much more lucrative, so if he has indeed lost interest in developing DSLR Controller much further I can't say I blame him, sad as it is. Having said that, the Android version does just about everything you'd want it to anyway.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

fivetide

I have DSLR controller on 600d to Nexus 7 (2013 but it errors when u set RAW movie footage, however I have now got a 50d but not had chance to test it Other wise for the cost its a great little app.