Music Video (7D ML RAW + Davinci)

Started by eren, December 01, 2015, 02:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eren

We shot it last August with 7D using Magic Lantern. Post production took some time but finally it's on. Hope you like it!

Danne

DeafEyeJedi

Def slo-mo & Looks good. Care to share specs/settings used within ML as well as Canon?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

eren

I'm glad you guys liked it. Well, I was not the cameraman I just directed the video, so let me tell you what I can remember.
Resolution : 1724x728 (2.39:1) continuous, upscaled to 1080p.
We used only 2 lenses as far as I can remember, canon 10-20mm and a 50mm. I did the whole post production myself and there was so little alias and moire which was surprising. I don't wanna talk about the hot pixel problem tho lol.
Yes, slo-mo. 80% of the video is slowed down (20 or 25% of the normal speed I am not sure) and some were shot with normal speed and and and only one shot (guess which one.. lol ) was 50% slowed down. Twixtor used for slo-mo purposes.
Used 23.976 fps only.
We shot it without sound so it was a pain in the ass during post production but I was prepared, had taken notes in advance so it wasn't that bad. Just syncing is a bit annoying but I am used to it.
I can't think of any other settings ATM but if you have specific questions, let me know and I will ask the cameraman.
Thanks for being interested!

Kukurio

Great video, thanks for posting!

I am curious what your workflow for using resolve was.
I have a music video I shot and was going to use resolve for the first time...

Did you export all the clips with resolve after converting the DNG? If so export as what? proxy? something washed out looking? then perhaps exported an EDL and round trip back into resolve to color?

eren

Hi there, I'm glad you liked it.

The workflow I use for ML RAW is kinda messed up. I don't recommend this if you have short time for editing but anyway, here we go.

After converting to DNG, I make proxies. (I use AE to do it since I find it the fastest way but you could use anything you want). I get the proxies and edit the video in Premiere.

After the cut is locked, I write down the filenames that I used in the edit. I open them (the dng files, not the proxies) in Davinci and color them. Then I render each one as a TIFF sequence (and resize them to 1080p if your RAW files are not).

I relink the TIFF sequences to the proxies in Premiere and then render the whole video.

Kukurio

Thanks for responding!

Is there a reason why you didn't export an EDL or something similar rather than write down the names of clips?
I guess both ways work!
Good effort!

eren

Oh yes, I use twixtor for slow motion purposes and when you use twixtor on a clip, it cuts off the end of that clip, so you have to duplicate the clip itself, then create a nested sequence using these 2 identical clips and then use the twixtor on that nested sequence to get rid of that problem.

As far as I remember, Davinci doesn't support nested sequences yet. Therefore I had to color the whole (dng) clip itself