Slow CF Benchmark on Computer

Started by tuckertota, November 21, 2015, 01:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuckertota

I bought 2 Komputerbay 1066x 128gb cards. I will be working with a 5D3 (shooting raw), but don't have access to the camera yet so can't test with camera.

I'm on a mac and tried using F3 software to test speeds on the two cards. Got an average write speed of 75MB/s on both cards. I also tried the GUI version called "sdspeed", and the black magic disk speed test, all with the same results.

I'm using this transcend USB3 card reader: http://amzn.com/B0056TYRMW

Are those the speeds I can expect in camera? If so I'll need to send them back, but I've heard the 1066x are usable for recording continuous 1080p MLV with sound.

Walter Schulz

Make sure to have cardreader's latest firmware revision installed (TS26). F3/h2testw are for detecting flash fraud and not that good in determine maximum card performance.

tuckertota

Thanks, I didn't realize card readers had firmware updates.

The transcend update software doesn't seem to be working for me, I keep getting "no device found". I tried a different computer, same thing.

I'm on Mac 10.11, maybe there's a compatibility issue? I don't have access to any older OS macs.

Walter Schulz

Google for "csrutil" and how to temporarily disable SIP (System Integrity Protection) and retry.

tuckertota

Disabled SIP and I still get "no device found"

I think I'll just try to find a different computer to update the reader.

tuckertota

Update: was able to update the RDF8 firmware with a windows computer. Card speeds still averaged 75MB/s

But I borrowed a 5D3 from a friend, did a benchmark, and both cards were writing at about 90MB/s (mlv sound off) 86MB/s (mlv sound on). 24p. 1080p.

So testing card speed doesn't seem to be accurate via usb3 reader. And both komputerbay 128gb 1066x card are working great.

Walter Schulz

May I ask for the Mac type you're using?
I don't get what you mean with "averaged 75MB/s". Do you have a snapshot of Blackmagic Disk Speed Test? Upload it somewhere and link it here, please.

tuckertota

I don't know why, but now I'm getting much higher read/write speeds (118 write, 131 read) http://imgur.com/nhpW9sp

I spent a couple hours using the cards on a borrowed 5D3 (benchmarked, test shots, formatted in-camera) Maybe that has something to do with the change?

I just tried formatting on my computer using disk utility, but I still get high speeds. So something happened these last few days that made the cards read/write via USB3 reader at much higher rate.

When I said averaged 75MB/s, I mean that I tested with F3, SDSpeed, Blackmagic, and all were appx 75MB/s.

Using a 2012 13" MBP.

DeafEyeJedi

Any ML Benchmark screenshots for verification, please?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

tuckertota

Here are benchmarks for both cards. Global Draw ON. MLV Sound Off (should audio on/off make a difference? I benchmarked both ways and it seemed to be the same)

Card 1

Card 2