just installed ML 2.3 on my 5d2, found the shutter count increased by 1000?

Started by WangYcca, July 24, 2012, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WangYcca

I have just installed the ML 2.3 stable on my 5D2. Before the installation the shutter count was 31XX, found by EOS info. After the installatioin, ML showed the count is 3K = 4117 +- 1074, which is about 1000 clicks more.

I checked the number by EOS info again, it showed 4117.

My understanding is that the "3K" is the total clicks, the "4117" was the physical shoots and the 1074 was the LV shoots, but the LV shoots were -1074, so weird.

Wondering how it happened.

a1ex

What happens with the shutter count if you go to LiveView and back, and then restart your camera?

You probably have found a flag that has unknown meaning, and ML interprets it as sign bit.

My 5D shows 28703 + 9513.

WangYcca

If I open-close LV,the shutter count won't change.
However, if take picture, the counter changes.

Before

After one shoot by LV

the 2 parts both change on the two sides of the "+" sign. The right part, which showed in negative value number increased by 2 for one single shoot.

kkx

+1

I also wonder how should I interpret the shutter count info on my 5D2.

mine is:

14k = 15138 + - 1348

I am guessing it means 15138 count in total of which 1348 of them are live view action.

Correct?

-kk

screamer

mine is 90k, and my camera is 1 year old... think that if i continue like this i have only some moths before remaining without shutter :\
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

WangYcca

The shutter counter in the canon DSLR seems like not quite stable.

I am not sure if the firmware 2.1.2 or the ML 2.3 has bugs, each lv shoot would count as 2.

Also the shutter count increase is not recorded into ROM right after the shoot is taken, but kept in some kind of cache until you completely switch off the camera.

I used to never switch it off, just left it in sleep mode. I felf some time when the camera woken up from sleep mode the shutter count kept in cache would be changed into some other value (may be random value or double value), until the time the camera was switchd off and wrote the incorrect value into ROM.

a1ex

A LV shot is counted as a picture plus a LV actuation (listen to the shutter sound).

ML only displays what it finds there.