Vägens slut - Road's End (2 min short)

Started by poromaa, November 10, 2015, 10:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poromaa

Hi ML-users!
Where is the best place to get first response on your work? Well I figured this place might be.

My latest narrative short is made using a 5Dmk2 with magic lantern. Shot in raw for keying greenscreen. Not the best key due to limited light, but whole movie is written, shot and vfx:ed in 15 days as part of a student assignment. First scene is filmed from small drone + gopro during daytime.
graded and cut in Premiere/After-effects. Soundmix in Audition.

English subs (probably misspelled) are available.

PASSWORD: showtime

All constructive feedback is encouraged. Maybe you think the best/worst part is something I haven't thought of.

Cheers!

The Director

yes, main trouble - chromakey. the nose is cut off. and some light difference
but it's still very nice)

Levas

Took me multiple times rewind and forwarding to find the cut off nose.
You fooled me with the keying, isn't it easier to film in a car that really drives, or isn't it possible to get the lighting on the faces done ?

Great short video! :D

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

poromaa

Thanks for watching and thanks for the feedback!
You see the things I see as well, but - I would say the story is the main trouble (couldn't come up with any better conflict), and thus putting any more effort into VFX details is not going to save it. I figure that I could probably fix a perfect key (some more rotoscoping) and perfect color-grading if adding 40 more hours, but trying to let go of the perfection, as stated - the story does not deserve it :)

Anyways - yes , the keying is quite bad mostly because the light setup was too weak. 40% of the shots had to be manually rotoscoped (not fun after some hours). My main mistake here was to put all my lights on the green screen (for a uniform green color). Then I had no lights left for keylight into the car (that light was actually daylight from the open car port). Therefore many scenes had a lot of green-tinted spill light inside the car (light that was bouncing from the green screen). This made the keying almost impossible. I would definitely consider getting more lights next time using green screen. If I would do it again I would have put stronger key-light on the driver.

Quote from: Levas on November 10, 2015, 08:36:57 PM
isn't it easier to film in a car that really drives, or isn't it possible to get the lighting on the faces done ?

Well, that was my first approach, but main problem was the light. During night, its hard to get any light from outside and still have any light inside the car, unless you film in 3200 ISO or something with terrible noise. Also hard to fall asleep and driving, steering wheel violently etc.

Filming in a garage during day (also more convenient time) let me have the camera on a tripod outside the car filming in (better distance to the driver).

_OLLE_

haha skriver lite på svenska på detta forum för en gångs skulle! grymt bra och jävligt välgjort!

poromaa