Why is Magic Lantern team not working with Canon?

Started by Mysticpuma, November 06, 2015, 09:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticpuma

It amazes me when I see the incredible amount of features brought to Canon cameras by the ML team that Canon don't get in touch (or have they) and get you guys onboard officially?

I am just about to make the step and upgrade my firmware to have ML as shooting RAW video on the 5D MKIII from the examples I have seen , it really is a no brainer! Also I hope I can shoot video when digitally zoomed (as I saw this feature on a friends 5D MKII) or I mean when you use the option to zoom the video in live view for critical focus and can record at 10x magnification?

Heading back to my initial question though, why aren't you guys at ML developing this officially with Canon because if it can be done unofficially then having this firmware officially would be amazing for so many customers.

Cheers, MP

Mysticpuma

So in the whole history of ML development Canon have never approached ML and vice versa?

I just wonder why Canon don't appear to regard this work as an asset to their hardware.  They way the "ask Canon" remark comes across makes it seem like
they are unaware of ML? In which case, is there a department that Canon users could 'target' with requests to open negotiations with ML to make it official? ML is a ridiculously good piece of coding that should be an official update for all Canon users?

Levas

Why Canon not did take contact  ;)

Because the ML forum is filled with questions about how to use ML raw video and what are the best settings for video etc...

If canon puts raw recording in their DSLR line, they get upset customers.
-Why does it take about 1 GigaByte to take 15 seconds of video ?
-What do I do with the DNG's ?
-Why do I get an image sequence and not a video file ?
Canon would be stupid to put this sort of power in all of their DSLR's, their support team would drown in all the emails...

Let's face it, raw video is not for everybody...

BTW, I love the raw video function, it was either the Canon 6d I have now or the black magic pocket(lucky for me the 6d was delivered first  :D)
Otherwise I would be sticked with a battery eating and a tiny micro 4/3 sensor video machine.

austinmarti

Canon doesn't need ML guys to implement RAW video. They intentionally leave it out of their DSLRs because they need to set their different camera lineups apart. They still want to be able to sell their cine cameras.

dfort

I wasn't going to get involved with this discussion because it is not going to change anything but -- (anything said before the word "but" is meaningless.)

What do you think is selling more cine cameras, the ability to shoot raw video or a high quality codec with a log color profile? Hint--most feature films and nearly all TV shows are not shot raw.

I'm not putting down raw video, it is the best quality that you can squeeze out of the camera, it is just that it isn't all that practical when you have to balance the cost/time/quality triangle.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: dfort on November 10, 2015, 03:34:43 AM
I'm not putting down raw video, it is the best quality that you can squeeze out of the camera, it is just that it isn't all that practical when you have to balance the cost/time/quality triangle.

Perfectly well said especially for not including "but" in it...  :P
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109