650D RAW SLOW MOTION VIDEO Usable?

Started by Tobyandtamar, November 06, 2015, 01:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobyandtamar

This is just a test to see if the the using Magic Lantern raw video in slow motion is usable.

Shot at 1472x376, 48.030fps using Magic Lantern MLV, ingested using MLVMystic to DNG then a simple grade put on in Lightroom, exported to TIFF and stretched and upscaled to 1920x817 and exported as pro res 422.

What do you guys think? Usable?

https://youtu.be/O6aWOX24IXU

marcoscodas

I think it's definitely usable, specially for some applications that require less "manipulation", like life-like commercials and TV work, as well as documentaries.

Which firmware did you use?

Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a while. I'd love to shoot slo-mo with my 550D, even if it isn't RAW.

_OLLE_

Very interesting and good test! It looks really smooth but i think it is a little bit soft/blurry even if it´s higher resolution than normal 50/60 fps, but the dynamic range and the color are awesome!

Tobyandtamar

Thanks for the comments. I am using the latest firmware.

HappyBlack

Moire is quite noticeable (look at the woman's scarf), but other than that - great.
May come in handy.

andy kh

yeah moire is horrible so not usable at all. i have done so many test in the past and given up after i realise that its not a gud idea for 650d to try slow motion. it was beautiful when i tried inside my room so i went to park to capture some beautiful people and animal. some footage are kool and so many others were not usable. by doing a samll test, noone can say wheather all footage will look gud or not.  i tried shooting @ different framrates..40fps. 48fps and 50fps. all footage are very smooth while playing back @23.97 in premiere pro cc but moire is an issue and i get weird colors in some areas of so many footages. i am eager to show you all what i mean but i m away for vaction break. i wil try to share once i get back home.
5D Mark III - 70D

_OLLE_

@andy kh
Quote from: andy kh on November 12, 2015, 12:52:46 PM
yeah moire is horrible so not usable at all. i have done so many test in the past and given up after i realise that its not a gud idea for 650d to try slow motion. it was beautiful when i tried inside my room so i went to park to capture some beautiful people and animal. some footage are kool and so many others were not usable. by doing a samll test, noone can say wheather all footage will look gud or not.  i tried shooting @ different framrates..40fps. 48fps and 50fps. all footage are very smooth while playing back @23.97 in premiere pro cc but moire is an issue and i get weird colors in some areas of so many footages. i am eager to show you all what i mean but i m away for vaction break. i wil try to share once i get back home.

I don´t know how much morie you have on your test but for example the morie on the scarf you can fix in after effects by adding the effect "median" just to the scarf area! Adobe Camera Raw can also handle the colored pixels using "lens corrections" tab and the "Noise Reduction" tab. It is maybe not the best way but hopefully it will be a little bit better!

axelcine

Nice try - but when the man in the picture plays a saxophone the guitar becomes disturbing. I want to hear what the guy is playing. External mike, please, and close to the performer. Match picture and sound and it'll be perfect. You're on the right path - but not there right now.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

Mehmet Kozal

This one is filmed in 48fps with a 650D + Canon 50mm 1.8 II [and a VAF filter]

Slow Mo stuff starts at 25th second
Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

HappyBlack

Superb! The VAF does a good job.

Would you mind sharing the detailed specs?
Resolution, enabled modules? Global Draw? How many seconds were you able to record?

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

Mehmet Kozal

QuoteWould you mind sharing the detailed specs?
Resolution, enabled modules? Global Draw? How many seconds were you able to record?

Thanks @HappyBlack Resolution was 1728*736 which I believe this is the max res for 650Ds [except it goes higher on crop mode I think].
Global Draw was off but I can't see any difference on performance when it is on or off. I could record 4-5 seconds of footage which on 23.976 fps timeline it stretches to 8-10 seconds and it is enough for most situations for me.
Generally I enable every module except Arkanoid, Deflick, Raw_Rec and Autoexpo.

HappyBlack

Wow!
You mean you recorded 1728*736 mlv_raw at 48 fps and still got 4-5 seconds of footage (which after slowing down gives you 8-10s)?

Comparing it to 5/6 secs of 1536*636 at 24 fps on my former 600D.. Wow. I'm out of words..
Just can't believe it. I wasn't aware that 650D was that good.

Mehmet Kozal

Heheh. It is a faster camera [700D is also same] but comes with it's own problems like "focus pixels" http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.msg156444#msg156444

Do you have the same problem with your 600D?

Walter Schulz

650D's SD-card interface has twice the bandwidth. Same as 6D, EOS M and 700D.
600D has no "hybrid AF" therefore no focus pixel issue.

HappyBlack

Nice results; I don't see any twixtor's warping artifacts at all.
Is it also 650D?
Mind sharing specs, too?