I want to get into videography with Magic Lantern: 7D or 5D Mark II or...?

Started by isaakkve, November 04, 2015, 01:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isaakkve

Hello Magic Lantern Forum,

When it comes to cameras I'm mostly a photographer, but I've been doing a lot of research into videography and when I saw ML footage coming from Canon DSLRs I was floored. I currently have a 500D and I'm looking to upgrade to take the next step in photography and get my feet wet with videography.
My budget is around €1000,- (preferably less than) for a camera, which puts a 2nd hand 5DmkII, 7D, 6D, 60D or a new 70D in my options list.

Now I've been lurking here for a few days but I couldn't find a clear answer to the question in the title. If there is one though excuse me :)

Bearing in mind that I also wanna use it for photos, what would be the best option? I'm currently leaning towards the 5DmkII.

Also, my current lenses include the 17-55 EF-S, the 40 2.8 and the nifty fifty.

What are your thoughts?

Walter Schulz

mothaibaphoto

@Walter Schulz: I use 10-22 on MKII&MKIII  :P
No vignetting in crop mode :)
It's not as sharp as 16-35 though (:

Walter Schulz

mothaibaphoto

That "modding" is just removing the plastic cup by finger, it's easy as to open the beer.
Yes, it's working on 10 too.
The amount of vignetting depend on crop size, I don't remember for sure what usable on 10.
Starting from 12 till 10 the rear lens crosses the mirror trajectory which can be broken.
This should be used with caution.
To stay on topic, I want to say that EFS lenses may be useful on FF bodies, especially, for shoot ML crop mode video.

isaakkve

Modding EF-S lenses to fit EF mounts? That's new to me! I'm guessing it does all sorts of things like voiding warranty and whatnot.

Bodywise though, what would be a sound investment?

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 04, 2015, 03:46:51 AM
You know you can't use EF-S on 5D, 6D?
I do, I don't mind selling my 500D + 17-55 or trading it in for a body :)

Walter Schulz

Caveat: Going into video with a tight budget and not knowing what your needs will be.
Not covered: Sound recording, light, video tripod and video head, rig, viewfinder ...

And you haven't told anything about the topics you want to cover in stills photography.
Therefore I ask if staying on 500D and taking first steps in video recording won't be an option.

Parts of Mad Max where recorded with 5D2 *without* RAW/MLV option ...

isaakkve

Right!

I'm not new to filmmaking on the whole though so far my professional work has been mostly post: I edit, design motion graphics and do vfx work. Additionally I have played quite a bit with the 500D's video functionality.
Stills wise I mainly do event, set/behind-the-scenes, portrait/model, landscape and street.

Audio wise I have people in my professional network I can ring up :)

The budget I mentioned is for the camera only, in total I'd say I have around 1800,-.

DeafEyeJedi

Or you can also get three 7D's for that budget or maybe two 5D2's ... In case you would like to have a "B" camera?

However, I've seen offers on a used 5D3 with low shutter counts go for about $1800 or so if not less.

The internet's your best friend!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

Both 7D and 5D2 have about same weight and size.
Both don't have - at time of writing - Dual ISO in movie mode. 7D doesn't do HDR video, either. Both do line skipping in non-cropped MLV/RAW mode.
Built-in flash doesn't matter, I suppose.
Fast moving objects tracking not that big an issue, too.

It comes down to APS-C vs. Full Frame, then. (If Sean's point about price doesn't count). Your pick ... Not going in that battle, thank you! ;-)

isaakkve

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on November 04, 2015, 11:05:02 AMOr you can also get three 7D's for that budget or maybe two 5D2's ... In case you would like to have a "B" camera?
The rest of the budget I want to spend on things like memorycards, a rig/tripod (there's a Glidecam going for cheap) and an additional lens. I might get an additional body down the line, or upgrade to a 5D MKIII and keep the MKII or something.
But two bodies doesn't have my immediate preference right now.

QuoteHowever, I've seen offers on a used 5D3 with low shutter counts go for about $1800 or so if not less.
Yeah, there was a MKIII that sold for 1400,- but it was sold in the time it took for me to write an email to the seller :P

QuoteThe internet's your best friend!
Oh yeah, I've been asking around on a bunch of places and been getting a lot of valuable input regarding lenses, bodies and such. I just figured since I wanna go Magic Lantern I'd go straight for the source and see what ML users think :)

--

edit: considering trading in my 500D plus lenses and whatnot for a 5D mark II + either a 24-105 or a 24-70 2.8 (first gen). Thoughts?

Levas

For continuous filming raw at high resolutions, go for a compactflash camera(7d/5dII)
Are you going to shoot a lot indoors or in low light, go for the full frame.
If you're shooting mostly in bright daylight, a 7d is probably as good as the 5d( not taking into account shallower depth of field)

isaakkve

reddeercity

Quote from: isaakkve on November 04, 2015, 12:11:11 PM
considering trading in my 500D plus lenses and whatnot for a 5D mark II + either a 24-105 or a 24-70 2.8 (first gen). Thoughts?
Yes 5D Markii ,but drop the 24-105 f4.0 kit lens , it not as clean/sharp as the 24-70 f2.8L
When I bought my 5D2 back in 2010 , I had the option for a extra $200.00 I could get the 24-70mm f2.8L
Instead of the 24-105 f4.0L and never regretted it , mind you the "IS"( Image Stabilization) function would had been nice
but the Image Quality was more important to me . You really see the difference in 3x crop mode bad glass will show Chromatic Aberration and Distortion

Edit: Make sure you get at least 1000x CF cards, better performance with 1066x thou.
I use Lexar 1000x(64GB) & 1066X (32,64) CF Cards.
Plus for a bonus you have Clean Uncompressed 8bit 422 60i HDMI , suitable  for capturing on a recorder
which I do with my atomos ninja (first gen.) then just do a reverse telecine to get your 24p thou a 3-2 pulldown.
To get clean shadow without noise , practice ETTR .
When you think you have it exposed properly push it 1-2 stops more to the right and it should be right then with clean lifted shadow
Just my 2 cents after 2 years working with my 5D2 on ML :)