[SOLVED?] 5D2 Black screen (blinking) working on external monitor but error 70

Started by virgonoshaka, October 25, 2015, 04:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

virgonoshaka

Hi everybody,
I have been using ML since a long time now and had absolutely no issues.
Yesterday my REC but (back button in the middle on th selecting wheel) got stuck and each time I started the liveview it started recording and impossible to stop rec.
I decided to open the back of the camera and cleaned the button, I plugged everything back carefully and verified 3 times.
Results : the camera is starting only with a ML card (red blinking) but no more screen and error 70 when I try lifeview or taking photo. (I can see that only when using my tv as external monitor).
I think that the removal of the clock battery may have reinitialized something, but I don't know how to make it work.
I don't think I've broken any hardware as I carefully opened and remove 5 screws and the wheel I've cleaned is working properly.
I've tested the autoexec.bin things but no led blinking (but it's blinking with my former ML autoexec...)
Thanks a lot for your help.
Cheers

virgonoshaka

Here is the crashlog I got.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=99103301345901547066
FYI : I've tried to uninstall ML successfully and I had my screen sligthly working while updating firmware.

But still no info on top screen and black screen without ability to take any picture

virgonoshaka

Solution Found after in depth research :
You'll need some soldering skills :
Thanks to this post : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2709.35;wap2
connertech said :
I've got exactly the same problem as the OP. Fortunately, I am the Russian repairman :) So, for the fixing of your Canon EOS 5D Mark II with these symptoms you should:
- remove back, front, and top covers: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Canon+EOS+5D+Mark+II+Top+Panel+Replacement/33383
- find the power board beneath top LCD, unscrew it and remove shield
- find the fuse F601 (white SMD component with N letter, 2A current) and check it with multimeter. Mine was blowed. You can also check the others.
- replace it with new fuse or thin copper wire. I've used 0.08 mm wire.
- reassemble your camera and check it. Good luck :)

dukeonee

I have the same symptoms.

does this mean my camera is not bricked but a fuse issue?

Do you have a photo of this fuse?

Thanks Russian repairman.

weegee1414

Hi guys,
virgonoshaka as you said in a previous post quoting a Russian technician gives us a key to solve the problem. I came to this post a few days ago after looking hard at the web solution. After reading what he says, I was just searching the fuse, and after removing the camera (following the guidance of ifixit attached in the post) I found the power board, and to my surprise also the fuse F601. In this link you can see the pictures I've done  http://www.josevarela.es/JOSE_VARELA/5DMKII-POWER_BOARD.html
Unfortunately I am not mail or a multimeter will handle, so now I have completely removed the camera and waiting to give you a solution. He says he would have to replace fuses not work with new ones or make a hack with a fine copper wire, but not how to do so as the work space is very small and it would be easy for me to break something else.
Alternatively I've been looking online to buy the power board, and indeed, said plate sell on ebay and elsewhere for about 90-100 €. It is certainly a very affordable price considering that all they have to do is replace by another plate in 20 minutes what can be arranged ...

but my question is, as I know certainly that making the switch from the plate with a new fix the problem?
In my case the 5D MKII broke a just before we started shooting day, the screen went black with flickers, and the bulb of read / write card is constantly flashing, the rest of the camera is completely useless, not react to anything, just by removing the battery as it is for all. I took the Canon service, paid almost 600 € for the repair, while repairing I had to buy another camera to continue working, the Canon 5D MKIII, so when I was returned repaired not in use, just one day where I had to make a mini photo report, some 700 shots, everything ok, after which the camera remained for a period of seven months without being used at all. Just after this time to use it for work of photos and turn it on, it happened again the same mistake !!!! ...
No I could not believe it, as the post warranty repair is 6 months, and had spent seven months with a single application at the time. Of course Canon said it did not cover me or warranty and paid or no settlement. That day I swore to myself never not buy any products from Canon, I think we are thieves that all you want when you walk in the door the service is to get you as much money as they can.

So I decided to try to find a solution to this problem thanks to the track that has left the Russian mechanic of the previous post. If Canon were true to their professional customers, who are the ones who most need your attention for these cases you would not have to walk talking about these things, because I think for that are already professionals.

From here I ask and urge anyone with information on this topic to share anything that might help. In my case just want to know if the symptoms I described in my case suggest that should change the power board with a new one, or perhaps another component that is wrong (of course this question is addressed to those technicians Canon who want to help ... remember Canon technicians, customers no matter how stupid are your leaders believe).

When I have news for my own repair will I communicate.
Thanks and good luck

weegee1414

Hello again,

I have good news for those who have trouble with your camera, as explained in this post. Following the clues given by the Russian coach, and without knowing anything about electronics, I managed to fix my Canon 5D MarkII, and I assure you right now that I have never been happier than now. It works perfectly and I have not taken just an hour to do so. I explain that I have taken steps to do so;

1.  You have to download the manual of canon this link    http://www.hdcamteam.com/2010/06/23/5dmkii-parts-catalog/
On page 5 of the manual you can see (framed in a dotted square) scheme the power board (of which our Russian friend had already spoke in the previous post) and, what is more important, you can see what and where are the fuses. Our Russian friend gave us the track saying it was the fuse F601, but I will say that, at least in my case, has not been the fuse...

2.  You have to get a multimeter. Ok, for those who think that in addition to not having a clue what it is or how it works, no problem, I do not know what it was, let alone how it works, but the web is wonderful, is full of information to your reach with a few clicks. So I just saw a couple of tutorials on how to use a multimeter and started to measure all the fuses are in the scheme of repair manual canon, beginning with the F601 we said our friend (from today this man is my friend), but to my surprise this fuse worked perfectly, the meter was read which meant I was not blown. One by one until finally discover that no one who does not work, you can see this link which was ... http://www.josevarela.es/JOSE_VARELA/5DMKII-POWER_BOARD_2.html

3.  Now comes the hardest part, because it is to bypass the fuse with a fine copper wire, which means we have to weld said fuse wire to bypass it, but this proved to me enormously complicated. So I had no choice but to do something really dodgy, and is coated with tin fuse connecting to fuse the two poles ... not that I want to do this, is that I had no choice. I know it's not right, and someone may think it's crazy to do this, well, I agree, but it was that or nothing. Incidentally, I am not responsible for what each one does his own repairs, this is a testament to just what I did on my own responsibility. What each click on your camera at your own risk. So if you want to see as was repair the link in the previous paragraph you can see how to do it was after.

That's it, in my case was just a bad fuse, I guess if I had found again, would have done exactly the same in each. After this is just reassemble everything as it was and put the battery. On and ready.

Conclusion: Now, knowing that the problem was the fuse, the arrangement I made was sloppy and that the part of the power board costs about 100 €, well, I think it's better to buy the part and replace it myself. Of course the logic says that if a fuse blows because there is something in which overload and makes the fuse blows electrical system, so that there is now possibly fuse, the next time the electric system sobrecarge some most important component will suffer the consequences, and then do not think the repair is so simple. Personally I consider this as a temporary solution. If anyone knows where I can buy these fuses, then the solution would be to remove the bad fuse and put the new ones. This really would be an ideal solution.

Good luck to everyone

dukeonee

Would you be willing to upload that Service Manual?
Or email it to me? [email protected]

Thanks a lot.

dukeonee

Nevermind, I figured everything out and ordered a power board.

Thanks everyone for helping us and the mysterious Russian man.

dukeonee

I just ordered me a mother board and it will take 2-4 weeks to receive it.

When I get mine I will post if it works.

Thanks for the great research and investigation.

weegee1414

dukeonee;
I'm sorry but I've been on vacation and just saw your post. It is very easy to find by doing a simple search on google, but here it: https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj9ubz1sJjKAhWL0xoKHfDPAN0QFghfMAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.photomecan.eu%2F_data%2Fsection-1%2F1565.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHnzeCT6MT_403dXyM-ETAa2RfGrA

You can find the power supply on page 5, with the fuses. By the way, I searched the fuses to buy online and are ridiculously cheap, for 6 € you have the solution to the problem:
http://www.dhcameras.com/genuine-canon-replacement-fuse-for-the-1ds-mk-iii-5d-mk-ii-camera-bodies/

I'll order a couple of fuses and replace the temporary settlement of the 5D MKII, which I have to say that still works perfectly, I've been using these holidays and have not given any problems.
I hope to make a video when you replace the fuse and share it with you.

Health and luck

gingerman

Hello - I had a similar issue, so I 'fixed' the fuse ( as in fixed it in stone ) by soldering across it.

It helped the camera's user interface and autofocus come back, but not the ability to record images.

I was however able to use magic lantern to record the logs and it appears that the shutter is probably broke.
I can see an error 20.

I created a time lapse with some other info about how I took the camera apart and reassembled it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52VCnhoCp5A

If you choose to go down this route - please ensure you are organised, have time, and have confidence. Also be prepared to break something and have to pay out even more on repair costs - other than that you might be ok  ;)

walachus

Thx dear russian friend for this awesome tip !
After struggling to rip out the old grip using this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ZrYDzn8QU , it all seemed impossible to solve. No cable issues,  no water damage.
My Canon 5d Mark II screen was flickering, shadowing and just showing random colored images and there was no top LCD info.
But temporarily soldering the F601 fuse which was the only one blown, everything came back to normal.
I'll try to use some thin copper wire, as 2A SMD fuse I don't know where to buy. By the way, what voltage might it be ? 2Amps and what voltage ?
THx again, I owe you my camera.
Wish you all the best !
Alex