Author Topic: Dealing with Focus Pixels in raw video  (Read 112709 times)

dfort

Re: Dealing with Focus Pixels in raw video
« Reply #525 on: January 13, 2018, 09:22:04 PM »
Hey @theBilalFakhouri - @bouncyball updated mlv_dump on steroids with the latest focus pixel maps so going back to your shot, here it is processed through Adobe Camera Raw maxing out on the highlight recovery, clarity, vibrance and saturation. That should bring out any remaining focus pixels.

mlv_dump --dng --white-fix=4931

There is an area that still shows some focus pixel artifacts:

I doubt they would be a problem unless you stretch the image as far as I have. Adding chroma smoothing eliminates it and I don't see any other issues introduced by chroma smoothing.

mlv_dump --dng --white-fix=4931 --cs3x3

Click on the images to see them full size.

I take it you didn't use a VAF filter on your 700D. There are a few post production tricks you can use to get rid of the aliasing.

Let's see what happens.

Hum--is there a problem with the youtube tags on the forum? Here's the link: https://youtu.be/x3uZzVivlzY

Yep, some aliasing issues but that has nothing to do with the focus pixels.
5D3.* 7D.* 700D.115 EOSM.* EOSM2.103

IDA_ML

« Reply #526 on: January 13, 2018, 11:04:27 PM »
Amazing work, Dfort and Bouncyball! Congratulations!  I can't wait to test the new MLV_Dump on the 100D.   

Dfort, could you please post a download link to the latest focus pixel maps, so I can test with MLVFS?  Do I just replace the old maps with the new ones in the MLVFS directory or there is more to it?  Thank you.

dfort

« Reply #527 on: January 13, 2018, 11:47:05 PM »
The latest map files are in the ML Focus Pixels Bitbucket repository. Just replace the ones that are in MLVFS with these.

IDA_ML

« Reply #528 on: January 14, 2018, 12:44:27 AM »
Thanks a lot, Dfort.  I will test as soon as I can.

bouncyball

• Senior
« Reply #529 on: January 14, 2018, 12:33:21 PM »
MLV App also updated with:

1. Latest focus dots fix (kudos @dfort).
2. Correct aspect ratio according to RAWC block info.

dfort

« Reply #530 on: January 14, 2018, 10:12:34 PM »
Made some more changes on the fpm.sh script.

When in doubt whether to use mv720 or crop_rec map files, default to crop_rec because it will work with either video mode.

Using the -n option to create full raw buffer sized maps will also default to crop_rec because it is assumed that these map files will be used in MLVFS that can't can't yet differentiate between crop_rec and mv720.

I also looked into removing dependency of the Crop metadata but it turns out that it is necessary to line up the map files properly.

Still todo -- run that 1-pixel offset map for mv1080crop mode only if it is 8...12bit lossless compression. Not a high priority because running additional passes that aren't really needed doesn't seem to hurt the image. At least not much.

dfort

« Reply #531 on: January 20, 2018, 07:16:32 AM »
Did some testing on the 100D. The 1:1 video modes, mv1080crop and zoom, could also have the focus pixels offset 8-pixels to the right. Discussion on the 100D topic.

Updated the map files for MLVFS, updated the MLVFS pull request and updated the fpm.sh script.

IDA_ML

« Reply #532 on: January 20, 2018, 04:35:56 PM »

IDA_ML

« Reply #533 on: January 21, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
Dfort,

Testing the latest January 20-th build for the 100D which allows handheld FRSPs with stabilized lenses, I noticed some focus pixels when shooting at Dual ISO 100/800.  Here are the original shot (size reduced) and a 100% crop from the area where they are clearly seen:

This is the original image.

Focus pixel area (100% crop) -> Here the "Add image to post" does not embed the 100% crop.  I don't know why.  So please magnify the above image and you will see the focus pixels along the edges of the cupboard doors.

dfort

« Reply #534 on: January 21, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
Are you referring to the colored area under the knobs?

These aren't focus pixels. You should get similar artifacts on the 7D (camera no focus pixels) as you do on the 100D (camera with focus pixels). That's why some ML users won't shoot without a VAF filter on their camera. Well, except for 5D3 users, note that you can't even get a VAF filter for the 5D3.

IDA_ML

« Reply #535 on: Today at 06:28:46 PM »
No, I am referring to the long vertical colored edges of the cupboard doors.  They look like a string of red/magenta  dots.  Please have a look at the photo at 100% magnification and you should be able to see them.  When I get back home, I will try to find the 100% crop from the original where these dots are clearly seen. 

dfort

« Reply #536 on: Today at 06:40:33 PM »
Ok. This is a Dual ISO image? I'm surprised it looks this good. My understanding of how MLVFS fills in the focus pixels for Dual ISO is that it only samples the neighboring pixels on the horizontal axis. This is because Dual ISO has a different ISO every 2-pixels vertically. That's why it is difficult to remove the focus pixels on high contrast vertical lines. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

IDA_ML

« Reply #537 on: Today at 06:51:05 PM »
Dfort,

Following your request, I have now prepared a complete (almost) set of clips of the Pixel Scanner pattern for you to test and see whether you have totally and once for all killed all focus pixels on the 100D or there are still a few left.  Using the October 23-rd, 2017 build I shot the clips in the RAW-video mode as follows:

1) Uncropped (at 1736x976 resolution)
2) Movie Crop Mode (at 1736x976 resolution) and
3) 5x-magnification mode (at 2520x1080 resolution)

In all these three modes I shot a clip at 14, 12 and 10 bit uncompressed and 14, 12 and 11...8 bit losslessly compressed bit rates.  Here are the download links for the original MLV files that will be active for the next 7 days:

For the 5x_Magnification_100D_FP.rar and the Movie_Crop_Mode_100D_FP.rar archives:

https://we.tl/Kr6ltVMayi

And for the Uncropped_100D_FP.rar archive:

https://we.tl/ttpzKYjXHy

Please note that some of the files (e. g. the ones shot at 10 and 12 bit uncompressed in the Movie Crop Mode) contain corrupt frames but there should still be enough sound frames for you to check for focus pixels.  Shooting the moving test pattern was quite a challenge for the 100D!  I had to repeat the shots several times to get a few OK.

I hope, this helps.

Happy birthday to you, Dfort and thank you so much for all the presents we received from you lately!

IDA_ML

« Reply #538 on: Today at 07:06:25 PM »
Ok. This is a Dual ISO image? I'm surprised it looks this good.

Oh, don't be surprised!  This is the 100D - a hell of a camera!  Even more so now, that A1ex has added working image stabilization to the silent module which allows for hand held low-light Dual ISO FRSP-pictures with amazingly clean results using stabilized lenses.  Once the hiccup issue is fixed, we should be able to shoot even Dual ISO video with comparably clean results at 2520x1080 resolution!   For now, the 100D is second best after the 5DMkIII for Magic Lantern work.  Now you understand why I am so eager to get the 100D working properly. 

dfort

« Reply #539 on: Today at 10:30:21 PM »
Please note that some of the files (e. g. the ones shot at 10 and 12 bit uncompressed in the Movie Crop Mode) contain corrupt frames...

Add to that 14 bit uncompressed. That's strange, all of the uncompressed settings show corrupted frames in Movie Crop Mode. You should probably report that on the 100D topic. Maybe that "hiccup" build I made also fixes this issue?

I just processed everything into movie files and need to take a closer look but first impression is very good--at least as far as focus pixels are concerned.

...Now you understand why I am so eager to get the 100D working properly. 

Maybe a little less eager on the 7D? Getting 10/12bit working on that camera is a tough nut to crack.